Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Sport
Daniel Moxon

F1 fans blast Max Verstappen "hypocrisy" after first clip of Drive to Survive return

Max Verstappen has been criticised by some Formula 1 fans after Netflix released a trailer teasing a new series of the popular Drive to Survive show.

Returning for its fifth season, the fly-on-the-wall style programme has been credited for bringing a new generation of fans to F1. But it has also come in for some criticism amid accusations that some scenes are over-dramatised for effect.

Verstappen was one of those who was not a fan of the way the show portrayed some events. The Dutchman even refused to participate in interviews for the fourth season, which was a blow to the show as it lost some context around his first title win after that epic Lewis Hamilton battle.

"They faked a few rivalries which don't really exist," said the Red Bull star as he explained his absence. "So I decided to not be a part of it and did not give any more interviews after that because then there is nothing you can show. I am not really a dramatic show kind of person, I just want facts and real things to happen."

Drive to Survive producers responded by denying that any part of the show had been faked. F1 chief executive Stefano Domenicali even got involved in the row, pledging to help both parties "figure something out" so they could work together again in the future.

After some talks, Verstappen is back on board and confirmed his participation in an interview last last year. As the first teaser trailer was released for the upcoming season on Thursday, the double champion was briefly shown sitting down in his interview chair after agreeing that there would be "no fake stuff" shown.

But some fans feel Verstappen's change of heart is "hypocritical". The Dutchman has been accused by some of only agreeing to take part in the show because he was so dominant on the way to his second title and so he will look good to the audience.

"Now Max wants to be in Drive to Survive after every narrative is flipped in his favour," wrote @premystic, whose bio indicates that they are a Hamilton supporter. They added: "The same person who called it fake for many years, suddenly it's ok when he is winning.. The hypocrisy is crazy."

Some other F1 fans agreed, though others poked holes in that argument. @ATerrero_9 pointed out that Verstappen "won last year and was not in it", while @rbrblis said it was "pathetic" how some people "twist everything Max says and does".

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.