Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Euronews
Euronews
Manuela Scarpellini

Israel and Lebanon extend their ceasefire by 45 days following talks in the US

Lebanon and Israel on Friday agreed to extend their ceasefire by 45 days, even as a fresh escalation of violence erupted, the US State Department said following mediated talks.

"The April 16 cessation of hostilities will be extended by 45 days to enable further progress," State Department spokesman Tommy Pigott said.

He added that the State Department will hold negotiations on 2 and 3 June aimed at reaching a lasting political agreement, while the Pentagon will convene military delegations from both countries on 29 May.

"We hope these discussions will advance lasting peace between the two countries, full recognition of each other's sovereignty and territorial integrity, and establishing genuine security along their shared border," Pigott said.

The ceasefire, which had already been extended once, was due to expire on Sunday.

The United States, Israel and Lebanon still consider the truce to be in effect despite ongoing violence, with Israel carrying out further strikes in Lebanon during the talks.

Israel says it will continue targeting Hezbollah, the Shia group whose attacks into Israel in solidarity with Iran triggered the cross-border conflict and which is not taking part in the talks in Washington.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.