Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
Bryony Gooch,Maryam Zakir-Hussain and Jane Dalton

Harry and Meghan latest: Duchess of Sussex ‘to make return to acting’ as family plot UK comeback

Meghan Markle could make a return to acting as she is set to arrive in the UK before the end of the month, according to reports.

Sources close to the Duchess of Sussex, formerly known for her role in the US legal drama Suits, have not denied reports that she has been offered an acting role in the country, according to an Australian media outlet which suggested she had been offered a job in an upcoming project.

News broke on Wednesday that Prince Harry and Meghan were returning to the UK after six years across the pond to make their home in a non-royal residence outside London. It is understood the couple have already enrolled their children, Archie and Lilibet, in British schools.

Asked whether the government would pay for their protection on their return to the UK, Andy Burnham said: “It’s a matter for Harry and Meghan and we wish them well in the move that they’re making.”

It comes as Prince Harry will find out on Friday the cost of his failed legal claims against the publisher of the Daily Mail following the case’s dismissal earlier this year.

Key Points

  • Meghan could return to acting as she comes to the UK
  • Royal holiday turns into summit ahead of Sussexes return - report
  • Andy Burnham says Harry and Meghan’s security plans a ‘private matter’
  • Questions remaining as Harry and Meghan set to return to the UK
  • Meghan Markle 'begged royal family not to drop Harry's security'

Harry and Meghan return: How the royal drama unfolded since Megxit

09:40 , Harriette Boucher

Harry and Meghan return: How the royal drama unfolded since Megxit

What have Harry and Meghan said about the royal family?

09:16 , Harriette Boucher

Harry has decided to stop exposing private details about the royals, as he looks to rebuild his relationship with the King upon his return to the UK.

Both him and Meghan have issued several claims about members of the royal family in television interviews and in Harry’s memoir Spare.

What are some of their most brutal claims?

The Duchess told Oprah Winfrey that during her wedding dress fitting, Kate made her cry over the flower girl dresses.

Harry elaborated on this claim in his memoir, saying he arrived home before the wedding to discover Meghan crying on the floor following an argument with Kate.

He also claimed William physically attacked him during a 2019 argument at Nottingham Cottage over Meghan and called “difficult”, “rude,” and “abusive”.

In his book, he said his role as best man at William’s wedding a “bare-faced lie”.

He claimed his brother “stank of booze” before marrying Kate.

The Duke also claimed that his father was jealous of the amount of public attention William and Kate received.

He alleged the Camilla gave stories about William to the press.

Harry to stop exposing private details about royals in bid to regain King's trust

08:50 , Harriette Boucher

The Duke of Sussex will no longer discuss private family matters in public as he looks to regain the trust of his father, according to The Telegraph.

As part of his commitment to rebuilding his and his family’s relationship with the King, he will no longer take part in any tell-all interviews, the newspaper said.

Harry and Meghan have publicly criticised the royal family, and made several accusations against them during interviews, their six-part Netflix series, and Harry’s memoir Spare.

Royals believe there is 'no way back' for Harry and Meghan to join royal family

08:32 , Harriette Boucher

Prince William is understood to be certain that there is “no way back” for Harry and Meghan to rejoin the royal family after their exit in 2020.

He is said to be “completely united” with his father in not allow the couple to have a semi role, royal sources told Mirror.

Both William and Kate want “no part” in their drama and cannot forgive some of the accusations made against the family after they left the UK, the newspaper reported.

One source told the newspaper: “Obviously the Sussexes' return will make inevitable headlines for a few days, but it has no bearing on the prince and princess' life moving forward.

“If anything, events that have affected them over the past couple of years have made them even more determined to concentrate on what is important to them, their family, their public roles and the ability to provide generational change for good with their public roles, and look forward to the future.”

Royal holiday turns into summit ahead of Sussexes return - report

08:19 , Harriette Boucher

The royal family is treating Meghan and Harry’s return as “business as usual” after their announcement prompted a get-together at Balmoral this week.

An annual family holiday with King Charles, Queen Camilla, and the Prince and Princess of Wales turned into a summit on Thursday, The Sun reported.

It comes more than six years after Queen Elizabeth held a Sandringham summit when Harry and Meghan announced they wanted to step down as senior royals for a dual life, earning their own money in the US and supporting the monarch.

During that meeting, the royal family deemed that their semi-role was untenable and they were either in or out.

Why Harry’s homecoming is good news for William - and the UK

07:52 , Bryony Gooch

Why Harry’s homecoming is good news for William – and the UK

Watch: Prince Harry and Meghan to move back to the UK later this month

07:40 , Bryony Gooch

Recap: What we know about Harry and Meghan's return to the UK

07:28 , Bryony Gooch

Harry and Meghan are expected to return to the UK before the end of this month.

It is understood they will live outside of London, with reports suggesting they’ve looked to the Cotswolds and Northampton area, and send their children to British schools.

There will be no photographs of the children when they start school and on their birthdays as for working royals, it is understood.

British media organisations have been instructed by the press regulator not to reveal the location of their new family home nor the children’s school.

The King is said to be glad to be able to spend more time with the Sussex family, but remains adamant they will not be working royals, and there is no half-in, half-out option.

Questions remain about how their security will be funded following a protracted legal battle with the Home Office where Harry made the case for them to provide security for Meghan and their children when in the UK.

Harry and Meghan have already enrolled their children in British schools (Aaron Chown/PA (PA Wire)
Harry and Meghan have already enrolled their children in British schools (Aaron Chown/PA (PA Wire)

Meghan could return to acting as she comes to the UK - report

07:22 , Bryony Gooch

The Duchess of Sussex could make a return to acting after she moves back to the UK, according to reports.

Sources close to the Sussexes have not denied reports that Meghan Markle has been offered an acting role in the country, Australian site news.com.au reported.

The news outlet suggested one of the reasons the couple decided to return to Britain was that the duchess had been offered a job in an upcoming project.

The duchess was formerly an actress, known for her role as Rachel Zane in legal show Suits.

The real reason Harry and Meghan are leaving Hollywood for Britain

07:00 , Jane Dalton

The real reason Harry and Meghan are leaving Hollywood isn’t what you’re being told

Meghan 'begged royal family not to drop Harry's security'

06:00 , Jane Dalton

Meghan told Oprah Winfrey in 2021 that she had urged the royal family not to remove Harry’s security.

She said: “I even wrote letters to his family saying, ‘Please, it’s very clear the protection of me or Archie is not a priority, I accept that, that is fine – [but] please keep my husband safe.

“‘I see the death threats, I see the racist propaganda, please keep him safe, please don’t pull his security and announce to the world when he and we are most vulnerable.’

“And they said it’s just not possible.”

Harry y Meghan hablan con Oprah Winfrey (Joe Pugliese/Harpo Productions/PA) (PA Media)
Harry y Meghan hablan con Oprah Winfrey (Joe Pugliese/Harpo Productions/PA) (PA Media)

Watch: No 'half-in, half-out' option for couple

05:00 , Jane Dalton

How the royal drama unfolded since 'Megxit'

04:00 , Jane Dalton

The couple continued to make waves even after leaving the UK for the US:

Harry and Meghan return: How the royal drama unfolded since Megxit

Harry and Meghan’s security plans a ‘private matter’, says Burnham: full report

03:00 , Jane Dalton

Harry and Meghan’s security plans uncertain as Burnham says they are ‘private matter’

Sussexes will have to win over public

02:00 , Jane Dalton

The duke and duchess may also have to win over the British public, since they face low approval ratings in royal favourability polls.

Former BBC royal correspondent Jennie Bond said retaining their other properties appeared to suggest the Sussexes were “testing the water” with the move.

The Sussexes are keeping their homes in Montecito, California; and Portugal, while the duchess will continue to run her lifestyle brand, As Ever, from their new base.

Meghan’s net approval rating in the UK slipped to minus 43 in the second quarter of 2026 in a poll last month, her lowest yet in that system of measurement.

According to YouGov ratings, the Duchess of Sussex was liked by 18 percent and disliked by 61 percent in the three months from April to June, down from the first quarter when she was liked by 26 percent and disliked by 47 percent, a net approval of minus 21.

Hard truths about the ‘Disneyland’ Cotswolds that Harry and Meghan should know

01:00 , Jane Dalton

By long-term resident Julian Linley:

13 truths about the Cotswolds that Harry and Meghan should know if they move there

'Return can't happen if keeping us safe is impossible' – Harry in 2023

Thursday 20 August 2026 23:59 , Jane Dalton

In December 2023, in a witness statement read to the High Court during his legal challenge against the Home Office, the duke wrote: “The UK is my home. The UK is central to the heritage of my children and a place I want them to feel at home as much as where they live at the moment in the US.

“That cannot happen if it’s not possible to keep them safe when they are on UK soil.

“I cannot put my wife in danger like that and, given my experiences in life, I am reluctant to unnecessarily put myself in harm’s way too.”

Daily Mail v Prince Harry: The failed claims brought by the duke and other stars as court costs to be decided

Thursday 20 August 2026 23:45 , Dan Haygarth

The Duke of Sussex and six other household names will learn on Friday how many millions of pounds they must pay the Daily Mail publisher after their failed legal action.

Prince Harry, alongside other prominent public figures including Sir Elton John, his husband David Furnish, and campaigner Baroness Doreen Lawrence, took Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) to court alleging it had engaged in or commissioned unlawful information gathering to find material for stories.

ANL strongly denied the claims, which included hiring private investigators to install listening devices in cars, "blagging" private records, and accessing private phone conversations. After an 11-week trial in London earlier this year, Mr Justice Nicklin dismissed all the cases, with ANL citing it as an “overwhelming victory”.

Read more:

Daily Mail v Prince Harry: The failed claims brought by the duke and other stars

Why did Prince Harry sue the Daily Mail publisher? The duke’s legal battle in full

Thursday 20 August 2026 23:20 , Dan Haygarth

Why did Prince Harry sue the Daily Mail publisher? The duke’s legal battle in full

More people oppose Sussexes' return than support it

Thursday 20 August 2026 23:00 , Jane Dalton

A new YouGov poll, carried out the day after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s surprise U-turn was revealed, showed 33 per cent of people believed Harry and Meghan should not move back to the UK, while 45 per cent did not know.

Less than a quarter (21 per cent) were in favour of the Sussexes relocating to the UK from the US.

The poll surveyed 5,810 adults.

Where could Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet go to school in the UK?

Thursday 20 August 2026 22:00 , Bryony Gooch

Where could Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet go to school in the UK?

Questions remaining as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are set to return to the UK

Thursday 20 August 2026 21:00 , Bryony Gooch

  • Why are Harry and Meghan moving back to the UK?
  • Where they are moving to?
  • Who will pay for their security?
  • Will Harry and William reconcile?
  • Which schools will Archie and Lili attend?

Trump’s Maga allies mock Harry and Meghan over return to UK

Thursday 20 August 2026 20:00 , Bryony Gooch

A number of Donald Trump’s MAGA allies have mocked Prince Harry and Meghan Markle on social media after reports suggested their decision to leave the United States is partly because of their dislike of President Donald Trump.

Read more here:

Trump’s MAGA allies mock Harry and Meghan over return to UK

Return could backfire if Harry and Meghan fail to learn from mistakes – PR guru

Thursday 20 August 2026 19:00 , Bryony Gooch

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s return to the UK could backfire if they fail to come up with a different script as to how they conduct their lives, a PR expert has warned.

Mark Borkowski branded Harry and Meghan’s bombshell news “extraordinary”, and suggested the royal family will not want them “back in the camp”.

He also said the U-turn raised a raft of questions as to how the couple would pay for their lifestyle, how their security will operate and be funded, and what Meghan will do in the UK.

The public relations and crisis expert said: “If we’re going to see the typical Harry and Meghan three-ring circus, then we know what happens when that is played out.

“That leads to massive disruption, and ultimately if they’re going to use the same tools in the same way – they’ve got to come up with a different play and a different script – that’s just repeating the sins of the past.”

He added: “If they’re bringing that whole spin machine with them, then it is going to backfire.”

Say what you like about Harry and Meghan, their timing is impeccable

Thursday 20 August 2026 18:00 , Bryony Gooch

The Sussexes’ surprise decision to do a ‘Megflip’ six years after moving to California comes not a moment too soon for the couple, says Harry Mount – let’s hope they’re doing it for the right reasons

Read more here:

Say what you like about Harry and Meghan, their timing is impeccable

Harry and Meghan's UK security funding a private matter, says Andy Burnham

Thursday 20 August 2026 17:00 , Bryony Gooch

In pictures: Memorial to late Diana at Althorp House, where Prince Harry and Meghan visited recently

Thursday 20 August 2026 16:30 , Bryony Gooch

 (Reuters)
(Reuters)
 (Reuters)
(Reuters)

13 truths about Disneyland Cotswolds that Harry and Meghan should know

Thursday 20 August 2026 16:00 , Bryony Gooch

As it is announced that Harry and Meghan are to return to live in the UK, speculation is mounting that they could move to the Cotswolds. Good luck with that, says long-time resident Julian Linley, who pulls back the curtain on what life is really like beyond the Disney-esque fantasy...

Read more here:

13 truths about the Cotswolds that Harry and Meghan should know if they move there

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.