Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The National (Scotland)
The National (Scotland)
National
Xander Elliards

Police open double murder investigation after men found dead in Glasgow flat

Police have launched a double-murder investigation into the deaths of two men in Glasgow (Image: PA)

A DOUBLE murder investigation has been launched after two men were found dead in a Glasgow flat.

At around 4.40pm on Sunday, August 16, Paul Lafferty and Gary Beaton were found with serious injuries within a property in Chancellor Street, Partick.

Lafferty, 50, and Beaton, 54, were both pronounced dead at the scene.

Police issued photograph of Paul Lafferty (Image: Police Scotland)
Police issued photograph of Gary Beaton (Image: Police Scotland)

Police said on Wednesday that, following post-mortem examinations which took place over the previous two days, their deaths “are being treated as murder”.

Both families are aware and are being supported by specialist officers, Police Scotland said.

The families have asked for privacy at this time.

Detectives from Police Scotland’s Major Investigation Team, supported by local officers, are carrying out extensive enquiries in the area and are appealing for the help of the public.

Officers have “trawled hours of public and private CCTV footage as part of the investigation and door-to-door enquiries are also continuing”, police said.

A Major Incident Public Portal (MIPP) has been set up, which allows information to be submitted directly to them. This can be found here: https://mipp.police.uk/operation/SCOT26S16-PO1

Senior investigating officer Detective Superintendent Cheryl Kelly, of the Major Investigation Team, said: "My thoughts are with the families of Paul and Gary at this extremely difficult time and we are doing all we can to get them answers.

"Our investigation into the deaths of Paul and Gary are continuing and I would urgently appeal to anyone with information who has not already spoken with us to please do so.

"It is vital we trace whoever is responsible and we are fully committed to doing this.

"A significant amount of resources have been dedicated to this investigation and there will be a large police presence in the area as these enquiries continue.

"I am appealing directly to anyone with any information, no matter how small or insignificant they feel it may be, should come forward and speak to us. Please do not assume that the police already know the information you have.

"We are keen to hear from anyone who knew Paul and Gary or who were in the Partick area, near to Chancellor Street from Friday morning from 9am on 14 August, 2026, who saw Paul or Gary or saw or heard anything suspicious.”

Superintendent Craig Brady said: "I would like to extend my sympathies to the family and friends of Paul and Gary as they try to come to terms with their loss.

"We understand the significant impact this will have on the local community and I would like to thank everyone for their help so far.

"High visibility patrols remain in the area and there will be an increased police presence as the investigation continues.

"If anyone has any concerns, or information, please speak to officers."

Anyone with information is asked to contact Police Scotland on 101, quoting incident number 1386 of Sunday, 16 August, 2026 or speak to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.