Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - AU
The Guardian - AU
National
Nick Visser and Cait Kelly

Australians from hantavirus cruise ship fly out of Netherlands in full PPE after plane and crew secured

A chartered aircraft, transporting six passengers who sailed on a hantavirus-hit cruise, departs from Eindhoven airport to Australia
A chartered aircraft, transporting six passengers who sailed on a hantavirus-hit cruise, departs from Eindhoven airport to Australia. Photograph: Rob Engelaar/ANP/AFP/Getty Images

Four Australian citizens who were aboard the MV Hondius, the cruise ship at the centre of the hantavirus outbreak, will soon be home after the government secured a suitable aircraft and crew for the journey.

The health minister, Mark Butler, said the citizens, along with a permanent resident and a New Zealand citizen, were due to take off from the Netherlands on Thursday and land in Perth on Friday local time.

The flight was due to arrive at RAAF Base Pearce in Perth at about 11am with passengers to be transported to the WA Centre for National Resilience in Bullsbrook.

“Six passengers are still in good health, they have all tested negative for hantavirus and are showing no symptoms as well,” Butler said on Thursday.

Sign up for the Breaking News Australia email

“Passengers and crew members will travel this flight for its duration in full PPE. There are very strict conditions about the flight, the landing, and the quarantine arrangements.”

The passengers would be subject to a quarantine order, remaining at the Bullsbrook quarantine facility for at least three weeks. The flight crew bringing them home would also be required to quarantine, either in Australia or in another country.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade had scrambled to find an aircraft and crew able to complete quarantine after a 48-hour deadline was imposed on the international transfer through the Netherlands by Dutch authorities.

The cruise ship outbreak now includes 11 reported cases, with nine officially confirmed. Three people have died.

The MV Hondius, which is registered in the Netherlands, was on its way to Rotterdam, with 25 crew members and two medical staff on board. It was expected to arrive on Monday. After disembarking, the crew were to enter quarantine with the ship to undergo what its operator called a “thorough cleaning and disinfection process”.

“The operation to bring all those on board home in the safest possible way was highly complex. It required intensive cooperation with national and international partners,” the Dutch government said in a statement on Tuesday. “The Dutch government thanks all those involved, including the shipping company, and expresses its gratitude and appreciation for the cooperation with Spain.”

The Australian government has been working around the clock to bring its citizens home.

“This is a difficult arrangement to make,” Butler told ABC News on Tuesday, adding the travellers were in “good health and relatively good spirits” at the time.

“You’ve got to have crew that are willing to isolate at the end of the flight, you’ve got to have a flight that has some refuelling arrangements put in place between the Netherlands and Australia,” Butler said. “And it’s important that we’ve put those quarantine arrangements in place, ready to go when they do land in Australia.”

Butler said the hantavirus had been listed under Australia’s Biosecurity Act, which allows the government to make quarantine orders.

Hantavirus, a group of viruses found around the world, is generally spread via infected rodents to humans through faeces, urine or saliva. Human-to-human transmission is very uncommon, but can occur through close and prolonged contact, the Australian Centre for Disease Control says.

Still, infection can be serious, resulting in critical illness or death. Three people have died from the outbreak, and a French woman is currently being treated after falling critically ill, with life-threatening heart and lung problems.

The World Health Organization maintains that the threat to the general public remains low, but officials have urged caution.

“At the moment, there is no sign that we are seeing the start of a larger outbreak,” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO director general, told reporters on Tuesday.

“But of course the situation could change, and given the long incubation period of the virus, it’s possible we might see more cases in the coming weeks.”

Butler said this week Australia’s quarantine protocols would be among the most stringent in the world.

• This story was amended on 14 May 2026. An earlier version stated the plane would arrive in Perth on Friday afternoon. It was due to arrive on Friday morning.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.