Supreme court rejects Trump's bid to overturn E Jean Carroll verdict for second time
The US supreme court has rejected Donald Trump’s latest attempt to overturn a jury judgment that found him liable for sexually abusing and then defaming writer E Jean Carroll.
The high court did not give any reason for its decision not to rehear the president’s challenge. In late June it also refused to hear his appeal against the original May 2023 verdict, leaving intact the $5m that Carroll was awarded in damages.
Carroll, 82, a former journalist and columnist, accused Trump of assaulting her in a Bergdorf Goodman dressing room in Manhattan in 1996.
When the allegations were published in an excerpt from her 2019 memoir, Trump called Carroll a “nut job” and accused her of lying.
Trump paid $5.6m in damages and post-judgement interest to Carroll last month after a civil jury found him liable for sexual abuse and defamation.
In a separate defamation case in New York, Trump was ordered to pay $83.3m to her. Trump has also appealed that judgment to the supreme court.
Republican senator Thom Tillis deplored Trump’s decision to cut US military drills with South Korea, which comes despite military officials from both countries warning that Kim Jong-un’s regime is learning new battlefield expertise, including new drone tactics, from assisting Russia with its war in Ukraine.
Tillis wrote on X:
South Korea has been a solid military ally for over 70 years that possesses exquisite military capabilities. Reducing joint exercises with South Korea does nothing more than free up thousands of North Korea’s troops to support Putin’s systematic kidnapping, torture, rape, and murder of innocent Ukrainian citizens.
Top Democrat slams Trump's 'inane, haphazard' cuts to US-South Korea drills
Senator Jack Reed has slammed “another inane, haphazard decision by President Trump and his chaotic administration” after Trump ordered the Pentagon to scale back “inappropriate and hostile” military drills with South Korea aimed at deterring North Korea.
The Democrat, who serves as the ranking member of the Senate armed forces committee, said in a statement that the president’s move amounted to punishing South Korea “for no reason beyond Trump’s ego”, would weaken confidence in US commitments to its allies – and handed a “propaganda victory” to Kim Jong-un.
“When President Trump cuts military exercises to flatter a dictator or punishes South Korea for declining to join a war he started, all of our allies – and adversaries – think that America’s commitments are negotiable,” Reed said. “Kim Jong-un has won a propaganda victory and South Korea, one of our strongest allies, has been punished for no reason beyond Trump’s ego.”
He added: “China and Russia are watching how easily this president abandons America’s allies, and they will remember it the next time they test us.”
Updated
US senator Jon Ossoff of Georgia described his Republican opponent Mike Collins as a “bigot congressman surrounded at work and at home by neo-Nazis and white nationalists” and a “scandal piñata” at a rally on Sunday in Atlanta.
Ossoff was referencing reports that Collins’ son-in-law, David Alan Scheer II, is a white nationalist and social media influencer with a history of sharing antisemitic material and sentiment and Nazi imagery on the internet. Scheer is registered to vote at a property Collins owns and has been pictured in Collins’ campaign material and at campaign events.
Additionally, Collins’ former chief of staff Kevin “Kip” Talley posted on a message board that he took a meeting with white nationalists Richard Spencer and Nick Fuentes. First reported by Slate in May, Talley said he hoped to use his congressional position to help free a notorious Holocaust denier, Charles Johnson from prison.
Talley left his position with Collins’ office in June. “I’ve repeatedly said nobody speaks for me; I only speak for myself,” Collins said, shortly after reporting about Scheer emerged. “He has had no role in my campaign whatsoever, and I don’t believe or support those views, and I have always condemned racism and antisemitism regardless of the source”.
Collins fled news reporters at a press event in July when questioned about Scheer and his ties to white nationalism. Collins
Ossoff is seeking a second term in a swing state that Democrats almost certainly must hold to retake control of the Senate. Collins, in his second term representing Georgia’s 10th congressional district, has yet to poll ahead of Ossoff in any survey since winning the Republican nomination.
Ossoff spoke at length about problems of government corruption, highlighting the crypto trading and stock trading of the president as a sign of fundamental dysfunction.
”The situation is absurd,” Ossoff said. While the CEOs of AI firms build bunkers, “and warn us the new intelligence they’re training could lead to mass joblessness, or human extinction, our congress debates ballrooms and youth sports. We’ve amassed enough firepower to end the world a 1000 times over, but we can’t summon the will to guarantee healthcare and pre-K. I say all this to say … it’s the crushing weakness of our politics against the unmet needs of our people and the massive stakes of our times that’s shaking our faith in the future. But Atlanta, I refused to leave my girls a world as stark and dangerous and cruel as this one threatens to become.”
Updated
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ of Iran
Donald Trump threatened to bomb the Gulf state of Oman, an American ally, if it interfered in negotiations with Iran over control of the strait of Hormuz, Fox News reported this morning.
“If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the shit out of them,” Fox News’ Trey Yingst reported that Trump said to him in a phone call on Sunday.
Oman is America’s longest-serving diplomatic and military partner in the Gulf, dating to a treaty of “Amity and Commerce” in 1833. Oman has served as a go-between in negotiations between Iran and the United States over the years, and has offered the United States military access to its ports since 1980, and opened ports capable of servicing an aircraft carrier to the United States in 2019.
Iran began attacking those ports in Oman with drones at the start of the war in February, leading Oman to withdraw its agreement to service US navy oilers.
This is not the first time Trump has threatened to strike Oman. In May, as Oman and Iran began discussing a mechanism for collecting tolls on ship traffic through the strait of Hormuz, Trump said at a press availability that, “Oman will behave just like everybody else, or we’ll have to blow them up.”
Updated
President Donald Trump reiterated on Monday that Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon amid a lack of progress in diplomatic efforts to resolve the Middle East conflict.
“The number one Goal is, and always will be, that Iran cannot have, in any way, shape, or form, a Nuclear Weapon,” Trump said in a post on Truth Social.
New Mexico’s attorney general is mounting a full-court press against technology companies to improve their child safety measures, capitalizing on a landmark win in court against Meta earlier this year.
Raúl Torrez is working with state lawmakers to draft two new bills he says will strengthen consumer protections and child safety online. The legislation, expected to be announced in the coming weeks, will build on the state’s case against the parent company of Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram. A jury found in March that the company misled its users about the safety of its platforms and enabled harm, including child sexual exploitation. The social media giant was fined nearly $1bn as a result of the case.
The trial was the first to hold Meta liable for harmful acts committed on its platforms. It followed a 2023 Guardian investigation that exposed how Facebook and Instagram had become marketplaces for child sex trafficking.
Torrez is pursuing additional lawsuits, including a second case against Meta and one against an AI company whose chatbot has become a source of emotional attachment for children.
In an interview with the Guardian, the state’s top legal official said the proposed laws would go beyond social media, creating a broader consumer protection framework for emerging technologies, including artificial intelligence and chatbots. He has also had preliminary discussions about the legislation with Deb Haaland, the former US interior secretary and Democratic nominee for New Mexico governor, who expressed support for his efforts.
“I think there’s a lot of momentum coming out of our victory in court, and the idea is to build on that momentum,” said Torrez, who is running for re-election this year.
Donald Trump’s son-in-law and envoy, Jared Kushner, held a rare meeting with Hamas’s political chief on Sunday in Egypt, in a new diplomatic effort to make progress in the stalled Gaza ceasefire.
Kushner will meet on Monday with Benjamin Netanyahu, who is under pressure after rejecting the new 15-point, US-backed road map.
The talks aim to salvage the plan for Hamas to disarm and Israel to withdraw from the Palestinian territory shattered by war.
At stake are the lives of 2 million people in Gaza and reconstruction of the crowded territory now largely controlled by Israeli forces, more than 10 months since the ceasefire ended major military operations. A meeting between Kushner, fellow envoy Steve Witkoff and Hamas leaders in Egypt last year helped clinch the ceasefire, whose progress until now had been stalled over the key issue of Hamas’s disarmament.
The over two-hour meeting in Egypt with Hamas’s political chief, Khalil al-Hayya, was confirmed by a regional official and a Hamas official, both speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to reporters. Kushner was one of a trio of envoys meeting with al-Hayya, with officials from mediating countries Egypt, Qatar and Turkey also there.
Hamas in a statement later called on mediators and the US-created Board of Peace overseeing the ceasefire to “compel” Israel to approve the road map for next steps.
Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, last week rejected the 15-point plan in a rare public show of defiance against the Trump administration, Israel’s closest ally.
Republican senator Bill Cassidy – a medical doctor who voted to confirm anti-vaccine activist Robert F Kennedy as federal health secretary in early 2025 – on Sunday denounced Donald Trump’s “crazy, stupid” claims about the safety of the combined MMR vaccine for undermining faith in immunization.
When Trump recently ordered changes to the recommended childhood vaccination schedule, with Kennedy by his side, the president called for two shots of the combined Measles, Mumps and Rubella vaccine to be scrapped in favor of two doses of three separate vaccines, claiming that the MMR shots are “sort of like a nuclear weapon” that could be “quite lethal”.
Cassidy, whose re-election bid ended in defeat to a Trump-backed challenger in a Republican primary in Louisiana, has been on the president’s enemies list since 2021, when the senator voted to convict him of “incitement of insurrection” in connection with the US Capitol attack carried out by Trump supporters toward the end of his first presidency.
Asked about Trump’s comment that “nothing bad can happen” from advising parents to get six separate shots for their children, instead of two, Cassidy told CNN on Sunday: “If it wasn’t so potentially tragic, you would break out laughing at a comment like that.
“Let’s just take it from the perspective of the parent: now instead of going to the doctor twice to get their child vaccinated, they have to go six times. Instead of the child getting two jabs, they get six jabs,” he continued. “Instead of the insurance company paying for two doctor’s visits, they’re paying for six, which is going to ultimately drive up premiums …
“So the president is wrong; there’s a lot of bad things that will come out of this.”
Cassidy’s critics have lambasted the outgoing senator for expressing misgivings about Trump’s actions, including a recent shouting match over the ongoing Iran war – but continuing to cast crucial votes to confirm the president’s nominees.
British PM exchanged messages with individual impersonating Trump chief of staff
Andy Burnham exchanged messages with someone impersonating Donald Trump’s chief of staff, the Guardian understands.
The UK prime minister was in contact with an unknown individual pretending to be the senior White House aide Susie Wiles before concerns were raised about the incident. No messages of significance were sent and the suspicious activity was quickly reported to the appropriate authorities, it is understood.
The British embassy in Washington was so concerned it raised the matter with the White House, according to Politico, which first reported the exchange. A UK government spokesperson said: “We do not comment on national security matters.”
Last year, the Wall Street Journal reported that the FBI had launched an investigation into efforts to access Wiles’s phone after an unknown person pretending to be her contacted prominent Republicans and business chiefs.
It is unclear when the messages were sent and what was discussed between Burnham, who succeeded Keir Starmer in Downing Street on 20 July, and the impersonator.
Trump orders Pentagon to cut back military exercises with South Korea
Hello and welcome to the US politics live blog.
US president Donald Trump said he ordered the Pentagon to scale back “inappropriate and hostile” military drills with South Korea, hours before the exercises began on Monday.
The drills under Ulchi Freedom Shield, one of two major annual exercises held by South Korea and the US, start on Monday and run until 27 August.
They were expected to involve about 18,000 South Korean troops, alongside US forces and personnel from 11 of the 18 member states of the United Nations Command (UNC), the multinational body that oversees the 1953 armistice that halted hostilities of the Korean war.
However, on Sunday evening, the US president said he was “not happy” with US participation “based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong-un”. He added that they were costly and “send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile, to a country that, as long as Donald J Trump has been president, has been unthreatening and respectful”.
Trump added that it was too late to cancel the drills so he had ordered the defence secretary, Pete Hegseth, to “substantially reduce” them. He also said South Korea had refused to help in the “denuclearisation of the Islamic republic of Iran”.
Cheong Seong-chang, vice-president of the Seoul-based Sejong Institute thinktank, said Trump could go further if he meets Kim again, potentially deciding to suspend the exercises altogether or reduce US troop levels without consulting South Korea.
However, Leif-Eric Easley, a professor of international studies at Ewha Womans University in Seoul, cautioned that downsizing the exercise would “slow the process of South Korea taking on greater responsibility for its own defence, and weaken deterrence against possible conflicts in Asia”.
“The cost savings from downsizing drills are marginal, while the diplomatic benefits for relations with North Korea are doubtful,” he told Agence France-Presse.
Lim Eul-chul, a North Korea expert at Kyungnam University, added that Pyongyang was unlikely to be moved by Trump’s announcement. “The North will only view it as meaningful if the joint exercises are cancelled in their entirety rather than scaled back. It has little reason to see this as meaningful.”
Read the full story here:
In other developments:
-
Andy Burnham exchanged messages with someone impersonating Donald Trump’s chief of staff, the Guardian understands. The UK prime minister was in contact with an unknown individual pretending to be the senior White House aide Susie Wiles before concerns were raised about the incident. No messages of significance were sent and the suspicious activity was quickly reported to the appropriate authorities, it is understood.
-
Donald Trump’s son-in-law and envoy, Jared Kushner, held a rare meeting with Hamas’s political chief on Sunday in Egypt, in a new diplomatic effort to make progress in the stalled Gaza ceasefire. Kushner will meet on Monday with Benjamin Netanyahu, who is under pressure after rejecting the new 15-point, US-backed road map.
-
Republican senator Bill Cassidy – a medical doctor who voted to confirm anti-vaccine activist Robert F Kennedy as federal health secretary in early 2025 – on Sunday denounced Donald Trump’s “crazy, stupid” claims about the safety of the combined MMR vaccine for undermining faith in immunization.
-
Democrats on Sunday intensified their demands for answers from the Trump administration over conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln as the aircraft carrier’s nearly nine-month deployment continued fueling concern over crew morale, mental health and living conditions.
-
US attorney general Todd Blanche on Sunday declined to assure that the federal justice department he helms would always act independently of the White House and Donald Trump. “No, I’m not going to pledge that,” he said when asked about the topic by NBC’s Meet the Press host, Kristen Welker. “And no attorney general should ever pledge that.”