Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Madeline Link

Slice of bush paradise could become suburbia with Wyee Point subdivision

The proposed layout of the subdivision at Wyee Point.

A SLICE of bush paradise could become suburbia with a development application to subdivide land at Wyee Point into 74 lots and build two access roads.

The proposed $30 million development, called Ramsgate Estate, could see 123 homes built on the site, adding up to 370 people to the town's population.

According to the proposal's social impact statement, "there are sufficient community and recreational facilities that exist or are proposed in the wider area to cater for the additional population".

"Importantly, consideration should be given to providing pedestrian and cycle linkages to the existing township," it said.

"Connectivity with the existing township will be an important component of future design work and it is likely this will occur based upon the proposed subdivision layout."

It said there is potential for short-term negative impacts on neighbours in Wyee Point, with land clearing, dust and noise as a result of construction.

After the access roads are built, housing construction is expected to take several years with homes being built on between 10 and 20 per cent of lots each year.

The estate itself would sit at the southern end of Lake Macquarie with about 1.5 kilometres of shore frontage.

It's estimated that if the development reaches 123 homes, it's likely to bring with it 540 construction jobs.

The new plans are the result of a reshuffle of a historical paper subdivision created about 130 years earlier.

Lake Macquarie City Council approved a new area plan with the potential for 196 blocks in July, last year.

The council sold 54 lots and unformed roads for $858,000 at Ramsgate Estate in 2020 to FTLR Pty Ltd, the major landowner with 375 lots already in the estate and the proponent of a development scheme to rezone and re-subdivide part of the area.

According to the DA, the proposal would have a "significant positive benefit" for the community in helping meet the need for affordable housing.

Submissions on the proposal close January 25, to make a comment visit the council's website.

The Herald contacted the applicant, John Travers, for comment.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? We've made it a whole lot easier for you to have your say. Our new comment platform requires only one log-in to access articles and to join the discussion on the Newcastle Herald website. Find out how to register so you can enjoy civil, friendly and engaging discussions. Sign up for a subscription here.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.