Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
Politics
Will Nicholas

Hanson refuses to condemn volunteer's extremist posts

Pauline Hanson stopped short of denouncing Allan Beale, unaware of his social media history. (Mick Tsikas/AAP PHOTOS)

Pauline Hanson has refused to condemn a One Nation volunteer who shared and commented on social media posts supporting cop-killer Dezi Freeman and neo-Nazi Thomas Sewell.

Allan Beale initially made headlines in the lead-up to the Farrer by-election after being filmed trying to grab Liberal senator James Paterson's phone out of his hand in a testy street altercation.

Mr Beale received handshakes, hugs and praises from party elders during celebrations on Saturday, when David Farley became the first One Nation candidate to win a lower-house seat for the party.

Pauline Hanson
Pauline Hanson refused to condemn a One Nation volunteer who shared a post defending Dezi Freeman. (Mick Tsikas/AAP PHOTOS)

Mr Beale previously shared a Facebook post supporting Freeman that read: "Will the injured police officer ever be allowed to tell his story, or maybe he doesn't even exist??"

"For all to consider," the One Nation volunteer commented.

In comments on a post relating to Victorian neo-Nazi leader Thomas Sewell, Mr Beale praised the former National Socialist Network leader for pushing back against pro-Palestinian protesters.

"Back in my military days we would have certainly been more aggressive in ensuring long term injuries were imparted," Mr Beale said of the demonstrators.

The One Nation leader stopped short of denouncing Mr Beale, saying she was not aware of the social media history.

"I'm not going to just reply to something I have not read or I don't fully understand it," she told reporters in Canberra on Wednesday.

"(Mr Beale) was invited there, he was a volunteer, it was a night of celebration.

"I do not condone violence of any type or bullying."

One Nation's newest MP, who will take his seat in parliament in coming weeks, faced his first media conference in Canberra, where he was pressed on a federal budget that dramatically overhauled investor tax breaks.

PAULINE HANSON DAVID FARLEY PRESSER
Barnaby Joyce appealed for people to lay off parents who want to pass wealth on to their children. (Mick Tsikas/AAP PHOTOS)

Mr Farley said he approved of the $25 billion extra for public hospitals announced on Tuesday night, but his party's leader later was more scathing of the fiscal blueprint.

"I see this as nothing but communism taking over and redistributing wealth," Senator Hanson said.

"You can't keep stripping money out of the pockets of the Australian people."

Barnaby Joyce, who defected from the Nationals to join One Nation in 2025, chimed in with an appeal to lay off parents who want to pass wealth on to their children, adding squeezing homeowners would hit tenants hard.

"I don't know why this is so evil: they want to help out their children," he said.

"Where do (renters) go? To their cars to live. What a wonderful Australia we've created."

One Nation senator Malcolm Roberts was also pressed on his apparent failure to dismiss the possibility December's Bondi massacre had been staged.

When asked in a May 1 interview if the mass shooting was a "false flag", Senator Roberts told comedian Lisa Jane Spencer "I haven't got the evidence" while adding he doubted it was.

"I'm not ruling it out, you'll notice that," he said.

Senator Roberts on Wednesday called the notion "an absurd proposition" but seemed to double down on his obfuscation.

"I reinforce the fact that I make decisions based on data," he said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.