
Wolfenstein 3 is still on the cards and MachineGames has always intended to finish the trilogy it began 11 years ago, according to studio director Jerk Gustafsson.
Gustafsson reiterates as much in an interview with GameIndustry when talking about what comes next for the studio after its excellent adaptation, Indiana Jones and the Great Circle, but he's more tight-lipped when it comes to when exactly to expect a finale to its alt-history epic.
"Our intention has always been to go back to Wolfenstein," Gustafsson says. "We wanted to finish the trilogy. And when we do that, that is something that I don't want to comment on. It can be now, it can be later, but we're not done with it. That's what I can say."
Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus tried to "make America Nazi-free again" eight or so years ago, and in that time the developer took a swing (and a miss) with co-op spin-off Wolfenstein: Youngblood and its acclaimed Indiana Jones and the Great Circle, which is getting a Switch 2 port on May 12.
Last year, the studio head said the team has had plans for a trilogy ever since they mapped out 2014's New Order and knew "what will happen in the second one, and what will happen in the third one." Since then, multiple reports claimed that a Wolfenstein sequel was in production, though details about what shape it might take on were light. A hunch tells me it'll have more Nazi killing, though.
While Gustafsson won't spill on what exactly the team's making, he did say that MachineGames plans "at least a couple of games" into the future now that it's a Microsoft subsidiary. "I think it would be a lot worse if we were in a position where we ship a game and then we started to try to figure out what to do next." So, whatever's in production at this moment has likely been locked in since before the Great Circle's 2024 launch.