Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
The Associated Press

Israeli strike kills 7 in Lebanon, a vessel attacked in Hormuz and other news from the Middle East

Lebanon Israel - (Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

An Israeli airstrike killed seven people in Lebanon on Saturday, one of the deadliest since a shaky truce between Israel and Hezbollah went into effect on June 20.

Meanwhile, a vessel was attacked in the Strait of Hormuz.

Here’s a look at the latest developments in the Iran war and the wider Middle East. Full coverage can be found here.

Israeli strike kills 7 in southern Lebanon

Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency said the strike early Saturday hit a home on the edge of Ansar village, killing seven people and wounding three others.

The death toll from the airstrike makes it one of the deadliest since the Lebanese government and Israel announced a “framework agreement” on June 26, laying out a plan for Israeli forces to withdraw from southern Lebanon in exchange for the disarmament of the Iran-backed Hezbollah militant group.

Hezbollah refused direct talks and was not part of the agreement.

Israel's army didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

A vessel gets attacked in the Strait of Hormuz

A tanker owned by Abu Dhabi’s state-owned oil and gas company ADNOC was attacked while transiting through the Strait of Hormuz, Emirati state-run WAM news agency said Saturday.

The attack happened Friday evening, and there were no injuries, the agency reported. This is the third such attack on vessels operated by ADNOC in the critical waterway in the last week.

The UAE has previously accused Iran of the attacks but did not immediately comment on Friday’s incident.

The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations center said that a bulk carrier was struck by an unknown projectile that hit the hull on Friday. It was not immediately clear if it was the ADNOC vessel.

Shipping has been disrupted and the strait has been virtually closed since the Iran war started on Feb, 28. Before the war, which began with U.S. and Israeli strikes on Iran, about one-fifth of the world’s traded oil and natural gas passed through the waterway at the mouth of the Persian Gulf.

This report has been corrected to show that one vessel has been confirmed as attacked in the Strait of Hormuz, and not two, as it was not immediately clear whether the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations center was reporting the same ADNOC vessel reported by Emirati state media.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.