
It was feared that Mohamed Salah’s hamstring injury could have potentially ended not just his season for Liverpool, but his career with the Reds.
Salah announced in March that he would make an Anfield exit this summer, but the Egyptian King’s farewell tour was disrupted last weekend in what could have been his last Liverpool game.
The Egyptian pulled up shortly before the 60th minute clutching his hamstring, smiling incredulously as his body, once a temple, failed him.
Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah will do everything possible to play at Anfield again
The 33-year-old has undergone a scan to determine the extent of the hamstring injury, which fans will surely hope is either a false alarm or, at the worst, a Grade 1 injury with a recovery time of roughly four weeks.
A recent update received on Salah’s condition came earlier this week, in a statement from the Egyptian Football Association.
🗒️🔴| حرص المهندس هاني أبو ريدة رئيس الاتحاد المصري لكرة القدم على متابعة حالة النجم الدولي محمد صلاح، جناح نادي ليفربول وقائد المنتخب الوطني، وذلك للوقوف على آخر مستجدات حالته الصحية وتطورات برنامجه العلاجي، بعد الفحوصات الطبية الأخيرة التي خضع لها النجم المصري، والتي كشفت عن… pic.twitter.com/dqd4Zepb7eApril 28, 2026

The statement read: ‘Hany Abo Rida, President of the Egyptian Football Federation, made a phone call to the international star Mohamed Salah… following the recent medical examinations undergone by the Egyptian star which revealed a [hamstring tear].
‘Abo Rida expressed his full support for the player, emphasising his great confidence in Salah’s determination and ability to overcome this obstacle and return to the fields in the shortest possible time,’ the statement continued.
Mohamed Salah, who was ‘thrown under the bus’ by Liverpool this season prior to his decision to depart from Anfield, could now have played his final game in a Liverpool shirt, however, Virgil van Dijk has offered positive news regarding Salah’s fight to return before the season’s conclusion.
“Knowing Mo, he is a quick healer with the right people around [him], so we’ll see,’ said the Liverpool captain, as relayed by The Independent.
Previously, Egypt’s national team director Ibrahim Hassan told Reuters that Mohamed Salah’s career with Liverpool is likely over due to his hamstring injury.

‘He has suffered a hamstring injury and will require four weeks of treatment,’ Hassan stated plainly, with the clear implication being that he may never appear again in Liverpool red as that treatment timeline could take him past the season’s final game.
Liverpool have now offered an update on the Egyptian's condition, stating, somewhat encouragingly, that he is expected to play again this season.
Liverpool take on rivals Manchester United at Old Trafford, Mohamed Salah’s favourite ground, this Sunday.