Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Latin Times
Latin Times
Politics
Mateo Moreno

Inside the Mexico-Colombia Earthquake Rescue Brigade Dispute — Certified But Not Cleared

A rescuer from Topos Azteca takes part in the search for survivors amid the rubble of a collapsed building after an earthquake in Cali, Colombia on August 12, 2026. Colombia's government on August 12 declared three days of mourning for victims of an earthquake that demolished buildings in the west of the country, killing more than 200 people. (Credit: Photo by Raul ARBOLEDA / AFP via Getty Images)

More than a week after a magnitude-7.4 earthquake tore through western Colombia, the country has moved from frantic, round-the-clock rescue work into a slower, grimmer recovery phase. Layered on top of that shift is a separate and still-unresolved disagreement between Bogotá and Mexico City over a single Mexican military rescue unit that was offered, promised, and ultimately never deployed.

The Toll, Revised as Colombia Shifts to Recovery

Colombia's National Unit for Disaster Risk Management put the confirmed death toll at 289 as of its Sunday, August 16 update, alongside 4,187 injured and 143 people still unaccounted for, according to El Tiempo. That figure actually dipped by five from the prior day's report, which officials attributed to the slow process of matching early, often verbal, casualty counts against formal prosecutor and forensic records to avoid double-counting victims. More than 26,000 homes have been destroyed outright and well over 100,000 damaged across 15 departments and 450 municipalities. With the window for finding anyone alive long since closed, crews have largely pivoted from digging through rubble to clearing it, The Latin Times reported — a shift that marks a new chapter of the disaster distinct from the frantic search phase of the previous week.

A Rescue Brigade That Never Crossed the Border

Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum told reporters on Thursday, August 13, that a military rescue unit her government had dispatched toward Colombia had, in fact, never left the ground — a reversal of what she'd said a day earlier, when she indicated the team had already reached Colombian soil. She said the mix-up traced back to a Colombian request for a second layer of certification on a unit that was already internationally accredited and had previously deployed to nearly 100 countries. "They are certified, but now they are asking for another certification," Sheinbaum said, adding that the brigade remained on standby to leave at a moment's notice. Despite the holdup, Mexico kept other aid moving: two Mexican Air Force planes carrying roughly 19.5 tonnes of food and medical supplies had already touched down in Pereira earlier that week, part of a broader shipment that would eventually total 58.5 tonnes, according to Mexico News Daily.

A Mexican rescuer searches for survivors amid the rubble of a collapsed building after an earthquake in Cali, Colombia on August 12, 2026. Colombia's government on August 12 declared three days of mourning for victims of an earthquake that demolished buildings in the west of the country, killing more than 200 people. (Credit: Photo by Raul ARBOLEDA / AFP via Getty Images)

Colombia's government has consistently rejected any suggestion that ideology drove the decision. Foreign Minister Omar Bula said the country had turned away no nation's offer of help and was operating without regard to any government's political leanings, per Al Jazeera. David Tamayo, who leads Colombia's national disaster risk agency, said any incoming foreign team first needs sign-off from INSARAG, the United Nations-backed body that sets global standards for urban search-and-rescue units — and that, at the height of the dispute, Bogotá had formally requested outside rescue teams from just four countries: the United States, El Salvador, Ecuador and Israel. Bula also noted Colombia had already accepted close to 60 tonnes of cargo from Mexico by that point, a detail that cuts against any narrative that the two governments were feuding over Mexican assistance broadly rather than one specific unit.

Setting the Record Straight on Mexico's Volunteer Rescuers

The Topos Tlatelolco brigade — one of Mexico's best-known civilian rescue organizations — formally offered its services to Colombia but was told its personnel would not be authorized to enter, since Colombian authorities had determined the emergency was being handled by national responders. The group said it would respect that decision and redirected its energy toward collecting humanitarian supplies to send from Mexico instead, according to its own public statements reported by Nación321. The team that did make it into Cali was a different outfit, Topos Azteca, which had been working Venezuela's earthquake response and traveled onward to Colombia at the invitation of Cali's mayor, Alejandro Eder. In other words, the volunteer rescuers who did get in weren't the ones who'd been turned away — they were a separate group entirely.

COLOMBIA-EARTHQUAKE-AFTERMATH
A rescuer eats during the search for survivors four days after a 7.4 earthquake in Pereira, Colombia on August 14, 2026. Colombia's disaster relief chief vowed to find the hundreds of people still missing after a 7.4 earthquake, as rescuers dug through rubble early on August 14, 2026, following the end of a critical lifesaving period. Photo by Luis ACOSTA / AFP via Getty Images

A New President Under a Political Microscope

The dispute unfolded against a charged political backdrop. Colombia's new president, Abelardo de la Espriella — a conservative, Trump-endorsed leader who took office just three days before the quake struck — has faced accusations that his government is less welcoming toward assistance from left-leaning countries than his predecessor was. France 24 has profiled him as the "far-right Trump fan" who could reshape Colombia's foreign alignment, a characterization that has fed the political reading of the rescue-team episode. Outgoing president Gustavo Petro shared a close working relationship with Sheinbaum, and observers have argued a Mexican brigade would likely have crossed the border without friction had the earthquake struck under his administration instead, per Mexico News Daily. Colombian officials have not wavered from describing the holdup as a matter of certification protocol rather than politics.

Outside of the one contested unit, international assistance has continued arriving in Colombia at scale. Search-and-structural specialists from the Los Angeles County Fire Department and Fairfax County, Virginia mobilized to assist Colombian crews, while El Salvador, the European Union and other governments sent aircraft, funding and personnel, Al Jazeera reported. Washington's contribution has grown substantially since the quake: the State Department committed an initial $15.5 million within hours of the disaster, and that figure had climbed to roughly $26.5 million by August 14 as additional funding was authorized, according to reporting relayed through The Latin Times.

Diaspora Communities Keep Giving, Undisturbed by the Dispute

For Colombians abroad, the diplomatic friction over one rescue brigade has stayed largely separate from grassroots fundraising, which has continued unaffected. In Philadelphia, the nonprofit Acción Colombia organized a weekend donation drive at a Colombian bakery in the city's northeast, collecting food, diapers and hygiene supplies bound for the hardest-hit regions, with roughly 100 volunteers pitching in over two days, WHYY reported. Colombian singer Karol G used a Los Angeles tour stop at SoFi Stadium to launch a relief fund through her Con Cora Foundation, pledging to match fan donations for rebuilding efforts in both Colombia and Venezuela, according to coverage of the concert. Meanwhile, GoFundMe's verified relief hub continues routing donations directly to vetted organizations such as Direct Relief, Airlink and Global Empowerment Mission, bypassing government channels entirely.

That distinction matters. The rescue-brigade dispute is a formal, state-to-state disagreement over credentials and diplomatic optics. The diaspora-funded pipeline runs through nonprofits and community drives that never needed Bogotá's approval in the first place, and organizers say that channel has kept moving regardless of what's happening between the two capitals.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.