Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Simon McCarthy

Hunter activist Zack Schofield speaks for first time after second release

A Hunter activist released from Israeli detention after being held for three days, sparking an international diplomatic crisis, has spoken publicly for the first time.

Zack Schofield was detained on Monday in the eastern Mediterranean with 11 other Australians and hundreds of international activists.

They were aboard an aid flotilla sailing to break Israel's blockade of Gaza and deliver food and medicine to Palestinian civilians in the war-torn region.

"We were taken to prison and treated really poorly," Ms Schofield said on Friday Australian time.

"Many of us haven't eaten for days. We were denied water for two days. I have friends that were shocked with tasers, stun guns for extended periods of time just on entry to prison, were beaten. But it is nothing compared to what happens to Palestinians in the occupied territories every single day."

Mr Schofield had been arrested for the second time earlier this week. He had previously spent two days in Israeli military custody earlier this month over his participation in the same flotilla.

The organisers behind the aid mission have levelled accusations of abuse and mistreatment of activists in custody. Their claims include that activists were beaten, deprived of sleep and suffered suspected serious injuries.

They say the protesters were illegally kidnapped on international waters and taken, in defiance of international law, to Israel, where they were subjected to degrading treatment before their eventual release.

Israel's government has denied the accusations and claims that it had acted within the law to stop the "provocative" protest fleet from breaking its "lawful" blockade of Gaza.

In a statement overnight, Israel's Foreign Ministry said all protesters - understood to be about 430 in number - had been deported.

Zack Schofield (inset) has been released from Israeli detention. Picture from file

Footage of unidentified detainees being held in restraints, in face-down kneeling positions, while the country's national security minister taunted them while waving a large Israeli flag, drew international condemnation this week.

The fallout prompted Foreign Affairs Minister Penny Wong to summon Israel's ambassador, Hillel Newman, to explain his conduct.

Mr Newman said the activists were "certainly safe" and had access to consular officials while in detention.

"No one is in harm's way ... the dealing with them was very sensitive," he said on Thursday.

"This is why we went. Because Israel behaves worse towards Palestinians in every way imaginable," Mr Schofield said on Friday.

"Palestinians have been on the forefront of a global war against humanity for generations that's why we went, and I'd do it all again."

Mr Schofield rejoined the Global Sumud Flotilla almost immediately after he was released for the first time earlier this month.

Zack Schofield has been released and deported from Israel. PIcture supplied

The second interception this week stopped the fleet's remaining vessels, taking all remaining protesters into custody hundreds of kilometres from its intended destination.

"The message to our Australian government is that they need to cut ties with Israel. We need to cancel the alliance, stop sending them weapons parts, stop giving them political support," Mr Schofield said.

Mr Schofield's mother, Joanne Jaworowski, had led impassioned pleas to the federal government to intervene to ensure the protesters' safety.

She said words could not express her relief to learn of her son's release.

"It is almost unbearable for me to think about what he has gone through over the more than three days at the hands of the brutal Israeli forces, and I shudder to think about the even worse treatment that the 11,000 Palestinian prisoners suffer every single day," she said.

"I am very angry that the Australian government has yet to unequivocally condemn Israel for illegally kidnapping Australian citizens in international waters and dragging them to Israel against their wills.

"The fact is that a country that Australia calls an ally has again prevented aid from being delivered to a sick and starving civilian population in Gaza."

The Global Sumud Flotilla has demanded the federal government condemn Israel for "preventing life-saving aid from reaching Gaza" as well as imposing sanctions on the Middle East nation in response to its treatments of Palestinians in Gaza.

A spokesperson for Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said consular officials had met with the Australians when they were released, but none were seriously injured.

"No Australians required immediate medical attention, beyond the provision of basic first aid supplies. Access to medical treatment remains available," the statement said.

"Along with other countries, Australia has raised our concerns with Israeli authorities about the treatment of detainees and delays in providing consular access in line with international obligations."

Federal minister Tanya Plibersek said the actions of Israel's minister was shameful.

"It was absolutely disgraceful behaviour, and I'm very pleased to say that the foreign minister has said that in the strongest terms to the Israeli government," she said.

"Our Australian ambassador in Israel has made the position of the Australian government very clear, that this behaviour is unacceptable, completely unacceptable."

With reporting by AAP

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.