Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
TechRadar
TechRadar
Chiara Castro

Gabon blocks social media 'until further notice' as VPN demand soars

A VPN runs on a mobile phone placed on a laptop keyboard.

  • Gabon blocks Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, and WhatsApp
  • Authorities cite fake news, cyberbullying, and data violations as motivations
  • VPN demand has soared as citizens look for workarounds

UPDATE: On February 19, Proton VPN sign-ups from Gabon reached a staggering +60,000%. We made some edits to the article to reflect this.

Residents in Gabon are turning to VPN services to stay online after the government imposed an indefinite ban on all major social media platforms. Internet watchdog NetBlocks confirmed on Wednesday (February 18) that Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, and WhatsApp are currently restricted.

Google Trends data shows search volume for "VPN" began rising on Tuesday evening, followed by a sharp increase on Wednesday morning as residents sought tools to circumvent the blocks.

Proton VPN confirmed a massive spike in sign-ups from the country. On Wednesday, General Manager David Peterson told TechRadar that usage is currently 8,000% above the daily average, "and still rising."

Proton VPN's sign-ups from Gabon reached a staggering +60,000% above normal levels on Thursday as social media platforms remain restricted.

Talking to Techradar, Peterson noted that Gabon has a history of digital blackouts during politically sensitive periods, with current events following a similar trend seen in 2023, when Proton VPN recorded sign-up spikes of up to 25,000%.

Why is Gabon restricting social media?

(Image credit: Getty Images)

In a televised announcement on Tuesday, Jean-Claude Mendome — spokesperson for the High Authority for Communication (HAC) — announced the immediate suspension of social networks to prevent the "spread of false information." He also claimed the measures were necessary to protect national unity and prevent social conflict.

The ban coincides with a wave of cost-of-living protests that began in December.

Digital rights experts are not convinced by the official explanation. Felicia Anthonio, #KeepItOn Global Campaign Manager at Access Now, told TechRadar the real reason behind these blocks is "to quell protests and silence dissent."

She added that it's "disappointing" to see the current administration resorting to the same internet shutdown tactics used by previous regimes.

Anthonio explained that blocking access to social media is a "flagrant violation of fundamental rights" that impacts everything from staying in touch with loved ones to carrying out business online.

"We call on the government to set a new standard of internet access across the country — enable people to connect, inform, and exercise their rights online," she said.

Can Gabonese citizens still get online?

VPNs do not currently appear to be restricted. "So far, we have not observed any attempts to block VPNs in Gabon. Proton remains fully accessible even without using the Stealth protocol," Peterson said.

To help document the extent of the censorship, Anthonio encourages people in Gabon to install and run the OONI Probe app. This tool allows users to document which specific platforms are restricted, creating critical evidence for future accountability.


Follow TechRadar on Google News and add us as a preferred source to get our expert news, reviews, and opinion in your feeds. Make sure to click the Follow button!


Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.