
France has launched two formal investigations into the Jeffrey Epstein affair, covering alleged sexual crimes and possible financial wrongdoing, as prosecutors call on potential French victims to come forward following the release of millions of case documents in the United States.
Paris prosecutor Laure Beccuau announced on Wednesday that her office was opening two “framework investigations” after the United States government released nearly 3 million documents linked to American financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein on 30 January.
“We want to stand alongside these victims. We will receive all the statements they wish to make,” Beccuau told FranceInfo radio.
On Saturday, the Paris prosecutor’s office said it was taking up the documents published by US authorities as part of the case.
Epstein files: ‘Releasing documents in their raw state can be counterproductive’
Victims encouraged to testify
Beccuau said the newly released material could prompt victims previously unknown to investigators to come forward.
“These publications will inevitably reactivate the trauma of certain victims, some of whom we believe are not necessarily known,” she said. “Perhaps these new publications will lead them to come forward.”
The two investigations will run in parallel. One concerns alleged sexual offences, while the other examines possible economic and financial matters connected to the case.
Five magistrates will oversee the inquiries, including three assigned to alleged sexual offences and two to financial matters.
“Decisions to conduct interviews will be taken once we have gathered evidence,” Beccuau said.
Investigators will analyse the documents using support from France’s anti-cybercrime office and artificial intelligence tools, while also relying on press reporting, open sources and possible complaints from organisations working to protect minors.
Beccuau said the prosecutor’s office could move quickly if clear evidence emerges.
“If we have fully established facts, nothing will prevent us from initiating initial proceedings,” she said, adding that the two investigations could last “several months, or even several years”.
Former French culture minister's offices raided in Epstein files fallout
Individuals named
Anyone named in the Epstein files could become the subject of an investigation if French law applies, the Paris prosecutor’s office said on Saturday.
Among those cited in France are former French culture minister Jack Lang and diplomat Fabrice Aidan. Daniel Said, a model recruiter described in the case as a possible associate of Epstein's in Paris, could also be questioned.
“He is among the people who could be interviewed,” Beccuau said, noting that some alleged incidents could fall under the description of organised human trafficking offences.
Prosecutors are already analysing two complaints linked to the case. One was filed last Wednesday by former model Ebba Karlson, who accuses Said of raping her in France in 1990.
The second case was transferred from prosecutors in Thonon-les-Bains, eastern France, and concerns alleged sexual harassment in 2016 involving conductor Frédéric Chaslin. Prosecutors said the complaint is currently being examined.
Epstein owned an 800-square-metre apartment on Avenue Foch in Paris, where he spent several weeks each year over two decades.
(with newswires)