Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
World
Ashlie Blakey

Brits will be asked to open their homes up to Ukrainian refugees

The government will ask the British public to open their homes to Ukrainians fleeing the war with Russian in their country.

Details of a new 'sponsored' humanitarian route will be set out on Monday, Boris Johnson said.

Levelling Up Secretary Michael Gove will unveil a hotline and webpage where individuals, charities, businesses and community groups will be able to offer rooms to those escaping the conflict, the Daily Telegraph reported.

READ MORE: Boris Johnson fears 'barbaric' Kremlin regime could unleash banned chemical weapons on Ukraine

Boris Johnson told Sky News: "On Monday, you’ll get from the Levelling Up Secretary, you’ll get the programme that will allow people to come in, so (if) people want to welcome (refugees) into their own homes, they can do so."

The move comes after Priti Patel was urged to do more to make it easier for Ukrainians to find sanctuary in the UK after announcing a limited series of changes to the visa regime.

The 'sponsored' humanitarian route will allow refugees to stay for an initial period of 12 months during which they will be entitled to work, claim benefits and access public services.

Boris Johnson said details on the 'sponsored' humanitarian route will be set out on Monday (Getty Images)

Officials will match them with offers of free accommodation from the sponsoring individuals and organisations who will be vetted to ensure it is safe and secure.

The Telegraph said those offering housing would have to agree to take the refugees for a minimum period – potentially six months – and demonstrate that they meet appropriate standards.

A government spokesman said the details of the scheme were being worked on 'at pace'.

“The routes we have put in place follow extensive engagement with Ukrainian partners,” the spokesman said.

“This is a rapidly moving and complex picture and as the situation develops we will continue to keep our support under constant review.”

From Tuesday, people will be able to apply online for a visa and will no longer have to go to a processing centre to give their biometrics.

This came after the Home Secretary was urged to make it easier for those coming to the UK through the existing family route.

So far, around 2.2 million people have left in a crisis unseen in Europe since the Second World War.

READ MORE: Concerns as Subway worker, 19, with no military experience leaves family to fight in Ukraine

READ MORE: Boris Johnson rules out Ukraine no-fly zone despite Russia bombing maternity hospital

Read all of our stories on the Russian invasion into Ukraine here.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.