Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Bangkok Post
Bangkok Post
World

Australia angry as Israel declines to probe aid workers’ deaths

People gather around the wreckage of a car used by the aid group World Central Kitchen, which was hit by an Israeli strike in Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip on April 2, 2024. (Photo: AFP)

SYDNEY - Australia’s relations with Israel have been “difficult” since the latter dropped an investigation into the killing of an aid worker and her colleagues in Gaza, Foreign Minister Penny Wong said on Thursday.

Australian national Lalzawmi “Zomi” Frankcom was among seven World Central Kitchen staff killed in April 2024 when their aid convoy was hit by an Israeli air strike.

Their deaths triggered global outrage and a renewed push to ensure the safety of aid workers in Gaza.

Israel’s military announced this week that criminal investigations would not be launched into their deaths, sparking outrage from the Australian government.

Wong summoned Israel’s ambassador Hillel Newman over the decision, which she described as “especially insulting and hurtful” as it was announced on World Humanitarian Day.

She has also asked Canberra’s envoy in the country to “convey our views directly” to the government there.

Speaking to journalists after meeting with the Israeli envoy, Wong said “we do not have confidence” in the country’s investigation into the killings.

“The Australian government will continue to keep pressing Israel for justice,” Wong said.

Israel’s envoy Newman told journalists in Canberra following their meeting he expressed “deep sorrow and grief” to Frankcom’s family.

But he insisted: “Israel had no intention to attack or injure in any way the aid workers that were on the convoy.”

“The decision is that there’s no criminal liability. We must respect that conclusion,” he said.

And he complained there were “a lot of haters of Israel in Australia”.

The founder of World Central Kitchen, Jose Andres, said on X that the decision was “wrong and is painful for all of us. There was no excuse for their attacks on our team”.

The US-based charity called the decision “inconsistent with the full truth and deeply offensive”, and demanded an independent commission to investigate.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu previously said that the military had “unintentionally” killed the volunteers.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.