Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Economic Times
The Economic Times

Athletics: Pole vault world record holder Duplantis adopts longer run-up to generate more power

Two-time Olympic pole vault champion Mondo Duplantis ​is looking to pack ​more power into his jump with a ​new 22-step approach, a longer run-up than he previously used to break the world record multiple times since 2020.

Sweden's Duplantis, who ‌set the ⁠world ⁠record for the 15th time when he cleared 6.31 metres in ​March, used to have a 20-step approach.

"Tried 22 steps for the ​first time in the indoor season, which was really nice," the 26-year-old told reporters on Friday, a ​day before the season's first Diamond ⁠League meeting ‌in Shaoxing.

"I feel like I hadn't ​really made ​a change in basically any part of ⁠the jump... since five or six years."

Duplantis said ​he was looking forward to developing ​his new technique, with the World Championships set for next year, followed by the 2028 Olympics in Los Angeles.

"We'll probably try 22 steps again tomorrow, see how it feels, because I'm still very new to ‌it," he added.

Kenya's Faith Kipyegon, who has three Olympic golds and the world record ​in the ​1,500m, is also ⁠looking to ease into the season, competing at the 5,000m event on Saturday.

Kipyegon took the silver medal in the ​5,000m at the Paris Games and was the 2023 world champion at that distance.

"It's really to see how the body is, and going towards the final of the Diamond League," the 32-year-old said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.