Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Euronews
Euronews
Gavin Blackburn

Around 10 'new' victims in France's Epstein probe have come forward, prosecutor says

Around 10 "new" suspected victims have come forward as part of a French probe into the network of late US sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, a prosecutor said on Sunday.

France opened a human trafficking investigation after the US Justice Department released the latest cache of files from the investigation into the disgraced financier in January, who died in prison in 2019 while facing charges of trafficking underage girls for sex.

French magistrates are seeking to investigate possible offences committed in France or involving French perpetrators who facilitated his crimes.

Top Paris prosecutor Laure Beccuau said around 20 suspected victims had made themselves known after she urged potential victims to speak up in February.

Some were already known to investigators, she told the RTL broadcaster.

"But we also had new victims come forward, ones we didn't know at all. There are around 10 of them," she added.

"The choice we've made for the time being is to listen to these victims," she said.

A document that was included in the US Department of Justice release of the Jeffrey Epstein files, 10 February, 2026 (A document that was included in the US Department of Justice release of the Jeffrey Epstein files, 10 February, 2026)

"A certain number of them are abroad so the investigators have tried to set up meetings to suit when they are able to come to Paris."

Investigators were also scouring through the so-called Epstein files and would be searching them for any names mentioned by alleged victims, she said.

"We have also once again pulled out Mr Epstein's computers, his telephone records, his address books," she said, adding her team would be "making requests for international assistance."

French investigators searched Epstein's luxury Paris apartment in September 2019, after he was found hanged in his New York jail cell the previous month.

Suspected victims already known to investigators included women who had spoken during investigations into former European model agency boss Gerald Marie and late model agent Jean-Luc Brunel.

Fifteen women urged France to investigate Marie for possible links to Epstein in March.

People attend a protest in front of the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs after prosecutors opened two investigations into Epstein-related wrongdoing in Paris, 20 February, 2 (People attend a protest in front of the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs after prosecutors opened two investigations into Epstein-related wrongdoing in Paris, 20 February, 2)

Investigators in 2023 closed another probe into accusations Marie committed sexual abuse in the 1980s and 1990s because it was too long ago to be prosecuted.

French authorities arrested Brunel in 2020 after allegations he sexually abused minors and procured victims for the US billionaire. He was found dead in prison in 2022.

Two former models have told AFP that a modelling scout named Daniel Siad groomed them with the aim of delivering them to Epstein in one case in the 2000s and Marie in the other case in the 1990s.

In the latest human trafficking probe, "none of the people who could potentially be implicated have been questioned" so far, Beccuau said.

Epstein pleaded guilty in 2008 to procuring for prostitution a girl under the age of 18 and served 13 months in prison before being released on probation.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.