Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
Politics
Allanah Sciberras

War of words heats up amid union scandal

An investigator estimates the CFMEU's conduct has cost taxpayers around $15 billion. (Darren England/AAP PHOTOS)

A state premier has slapped down claims multiple government ministers want a royal commission into CFMEU corruption as 'anonymous gossip'.

Victoria's Premier Jacinta Allan is facing mounting pressure to take action after a damning report revealed escalating criminality in the state's rogue construction union, with the lead investigator estimating the CFMEU's conduct had cost taxpayers an estimated $15 billion.

Ms Allan shut down claims ministers are internally pushing for an inquiry or royal commission during a press conference at Victoria's parliament.

"I want to make it absolutely clear that no one in the caucus has raised matters regarding the calling of a royal commission," she told reporters.

"I'm just not going to respond to anonymous gossip."

Jacinta Allan
Jacinta Allan is under increasing pressure to take action. (Joel Carrett/AAP PHOTOS)

Tensions ran high at the press conference on Thursday, with the premier snapping at a journalist over their line of questioning.

Ms Allan demanded the journalist retract an accusation that she looked disinterested.

"I'm happy to answer other people's questions, but I can't unless I have that very clear statement that this allegation of how I was behaving is retracted," she said.

The Victorian government has been facing a barrage of questions after the Rotting from the Top report was published by anti-corruption barrister Geoffrey Watson last week.

It found the government "did nothing" to curb rising criminality within the state branch of the CFMEU.

Ms Allan has defended criticisms by arguing she referred all allegations of misconduct raised with her to the relevant authorities, including the Victorian corruption watchdog in mid-2024.

Several ministers have hit back at the report's claims, with Police Minister Anthony Carbines branding the alleged $15 billion scandal as "florid ramblings."

Geoffrey Watson
Geoffrey Watson says he's stunned by the personal attacks against him. (Darren England/AAP PHOTOS)

Mr Carbines on Thursday doubled down on previous personal attacks targeting Mr Watson, telling reporters the barrister was "thin skinned".

"We're not taking integrity lectures from people in Queensland, the home of Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen," he said, referring to the corrupt ex-premier.

"I'm not going to run around chasing his unsubstantiated claims".

The police minister said he backed Victoria Police in its investigation into the rort, which has led to 17 arrests and 70 charges.

"The scoreboard says arrests have been made, charges have been laid," Mr Carbines added.

"Not sure what's on Mr Watson's scoreboard, a lot of talk and a few headlines."

Mr Watson fired back at the criticism on Wednesday afternoon, telling AAP that it was stunning the government would prefer to attack him personally rather than address the problem created in Victoria.

"I'm especially disappointed that they would use that kind of language when neither of them bothered to even contact me to ask me how I went about preparing the report, or what lay behind it," he said.

Opposition leader Jess Wilson said she remains focused on pushing for a royal commission into the alleged CFMEU corruption.

"A royal commission will get to the root causes of how $15 billion of taxpayer money has been rorted into the pockets of criminals in this state," she said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.