
A shocking video is going viral on social media showing a man being hurled into the air during a powerful thunderstorm in Uttar Pradesh’s Bareilly district.
According to reports, the incident took place on Wednesday when the man was taking shelter under a tin shed amid strong winds and heavy rain. The intense storm reportedly ripped off the tin structure, throwing both the shed and the man several feet into the air before he crashed to the ground.
The video has sparked concern online as severe weather conditions continue to batter several parts of Uttar Pradesh.
Over the past 24 hours, multiple districts in the state have reported deaths, injuries, livestock loss and damage to houses due to thunderstorms, lightning and strong winds. According to the Uttar Pradesh government, reports of human casualties, livestock deaths and crop damage have been received from 19 districts, including Barabanki, Bahraich, Kanpur Dehat, Basti, Sambhal, Hardoi and Unnao. Several homes were also damaged in the extreme weather.
At least 104 people have died across Uttar Pradesh due to thunderstorms and lightning over the past 36 to 48 hours, State Relief Commissioner Harikesh Bhaskar said on Thursday.
Among the worst-affected districts were Prayagraj, which recorded 21 deaths, Sant Ravidas Nagar with 14 fatalities, Fatehpur with 11 deaths and Mirzapur with 10 casualties. Several other districts, including Unnao, Badaun, Bareilly and Pratapgarh, also reported deaths as powerful storms uprooted trees, damaged houses and caused wall collapses.
The Relief Commissioner said authorities are continuously monitoring the situation and that the 24-hour Integrated Control and Command Centre remains fully functional.
He added that officials across districts have been instructed to carry out field inspections. The Uttar Pradesh government has also announced compensation for the affected families, and financial assistance is currently being distributed.
Earlier in the day, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath directed officials to provide immediate relief to people affected by storms and lightning incidents reported over the last 24 hours.
The Chief Minister instructed authorities to visit affected areas without delay, assist victims, release compensation promptly and provide updates on the situation every three hours.
He also asked all District Magistrates to prioritise relief and rescue operations. Additionally, officials were directed to share updates related to compensation, rescue work and other relief measures on social media platforms.
According to an official press release, reports of human casualties, livestock deaths and crop damage have been received from 19 districts, including Barabanki, Bahraich, Kanpur Dehat, Basti, Sambhal, Hardoi and Unnao. The statement added that 130 animals, including both large and small livestock, had died, while 98 houses were damaged in the extreme weather.
CM Yogi expressed condolences to the families of those who lost their lives in the disaster.
Meanwhile, on Tuesday, Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Science and Technology and Earth Sciences Jitendra Singh launched two advanced weather forecasting systems developed under the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES). The systems are aimed at delivering hyper-local, AI-enabled and impact-based weather forecasts across India.
Local administrations are continuing damage assessment and relief distribution efforts in the affected districts.