Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
France 24
France 24
World
FRANCE 24

US lifts sanctions against Francesca Albanese, UN rapporteur on Palestinians

United Nations special rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese was slapped with US sanctions for her work.
United Nations special rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese was slapped with US sanctions for her work © Fabrice COFFRINI, AFP

The United States on Wednesday lifted sanctions on Francesca Albanese, a UN expert critical of Israel’s treatment of Palestinians, after a court order. A Treasury Department notice showed Albanese was removed from a sanctions blacklist that had effectively cut her off from global banking and credit card services.

The United States on Wednesday removed sanctions on Francesca Albanese, a UN expert on the Palestinian territories who has harshly criticised Israel, following a court order.

A notice on the Treasury Department's website showed that it had removed a sanctions designation on Albanese that had blacklisted her globally, making it impossible for her to use major credit cards or carry out bank transactions.

Albanese, who is Italian, has been a relentless critic of Israel's treatment of the Palestinians in her role as the UN Human Rights Council special rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories.

Read moreUS sanctions UN human rights expert investigating Israeli abuses in Gaza

US District Judge Richard Leon last week granted a preliminary injunction against the sanctions.

"Protecting the freedom of speech is 'always' in the public interest," Leon wrote in an opinion accompanying the order.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio, announcing sanctions against Albanese in July last year, said she has "spewed unabashed antisemitism, expressed support for terrorism and open contempt for the United States, Israel and the West."

Albanese denies allegations of antisemitism, which have also been made by Israel.

Albanese has been at the forefront of accusing Israel of carrying out genocide in Gaza in its devastating military campaign after the October 7, 2023 attacks by Hamas.

She faced a backlash when she said that the victims of the October 7 attack were not killed because they were Jewish but because of Israeli actions.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.