Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Axios
Axios
World

U.S. and Iran set to hold second round of nuclear talks in Geneva

The U.S. and Iran are expected to hold a second round of nuclear talks in Geneva next Tuesday in an effort to reach a deal that prevents war, according to a U.S. official and three sources with knowledge.

Why it matters: While President Trump said he prefers a diplomatic solution and wants to reach a deal with Iran, he has also ordered a massive military buildup in the Gulf, including sending a second aircraft carrier strike group.


  • "Either we will make a deal or we will have to do something very tough like last time," Trump told Axios on Tuesday.

Driving the news: The U.S. team in the talks will include Trump's senior adviser Jared Kushner and White House envoy Steve Witkoff, the sources said.

  • The Iranian delegation is expected to be led by foreign minister Abbas Araghchi.
  • Oman's foreign minister Badr al-Busaidi, who is mediating between the parties, is also expected to attend.

Behind the scenes: A U.S. official said that earlier this week Witkoff spoke to the Omani foreign minister and gave him several messages regarding the nuclear talks to give to the Iranians.

  • The Omani foreign minister prepared a document based on his call with Witkoff and gave it to the secretary of Iran's supreme national security council Ali Larijani who visited Muscat last Tuesday.
  • Larijani confirmed he received the document with the U.S. messages in an interview on Iranian state television.

What he's saying: Trump told reporters on Friday that any deal with Iran must include zero enrichment of Uranium in the country.

  • He said that while the Iranians want to have talks, they still haven't show they are willing to take action regarding their nuclear program.
  • When asked if he supports regime change in Iran, Trump said it "seems like that would be the best thing that could happen."
  • White House spokeswoman Anna Kelly declined to comment.

Go deeper: Trump sends second aircraft carrier to Gulf amid Iran threats

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.