A man has been charged with drugging and raping two women during a purported spiritual healing ceremony on the Gold Coast.
Police allege the 50-year-old used stupefying and hallucinogenic substances on his victims, causing them to lose consciousness, before sexually assaulting them.
Two women, aged 21 and 23, went to the man's Southport apartment on Friday night for what they believed was a "spiritual healing ceremony", according to a statement from Queensland Police.
The man allegedly raped the 23-year-old, which resulted in neck and facial injuries.
The other woman, 21, called police who arrested the man at the scene in the early hours of Saturday morning.
Police said investigations had uncovered two similar incidents from last year.
They said two women were allegedly drugged and raped at a Broadbeach unit in September and October respectively.
The man has been charged with four counts of stupefying in order to commit indictable offence, two counts each of rape, sexual assault, and supplying dangerous drugs, and one count each of assault occasioning bodily harm and contravening order about information necessary to access information stored electronically.
He was refused bail at the Southport Magistrates Court on Tuesday and will remain in custody until his next court appearance in March.