Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
World
Jakub Krupa

Russia launches 400 drones and 29 missiles at Ukraine hours before peace talks in Geneva – Europe live

Firefighers in the smoking rubble of a ruined house
Firefighters at work at the site of an air attack in the Sumy region of Ukraine. Photograph: AP

Russia threatens to deploy navy to protect vessels from ‘western piracy’

Russian affairs reporter

A senior Russian official has said Moscow could deploy its navy to protect Russian-linked vessels from potential European seizures, raising the prospect of retaliatory action against European shipping as pressure on the Kremlin’s so-called shadow fleet intensifies.

Nikolai Patrushev, a former FSB director who heads Russia’s maritime board, said on Tuesday that the country’s navy should be ready to counter what he described as “western piracy”.

If this situation cannot be resolved peacefully, the navy will break any blockade and move to eliminate it. And let’s not forget that many vessels sail the seas under European flags – we, too, may take an interest in what they are carrying and where they are headed,” he told the Russian newspaper Argumenty i Fakty.

Patrushev added that any attempt to impose a maritime blockade on Russia would be illegal under international law, claiming that the EU’s use of the term “shadow fleet” had no legal basis.

The term shadow fleet refers to an estimated 1,500 ageing or lightly regulated oil tankers operating under opaque ownership structures to help Russia export crude to buyers such as China and India while circumventing western sanctions. More than 600 vessels have been targeted by sanctions from the EU, UK and US. These measures have helped curb Russian oil revenues.

Patrushev’s remarks came as the British defence secretary, John Healey, met European counterparts on the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference to discuss possible moves to seize tankers linked to Russia’s shadow fleet.

EU to investigate Shein over sale of childlike sex dolls and weapons

Elsewhere, the European Union is to open a formal investigation into the Chinese retailer Shein over suspected breaches of European laws including the sale of childlike sex dolls and weapons.

The European Commission said on Tuesday it had launched the inquiry after demanding information from the fast-growing company last year.

A senior EU official also pointed to reports of clothes, cosmetics, electronic products that were not compliant with EU law.

The investigation will examine three areas of Shein’s service that have given cause for concern.

Apart from the sale of illegal products, it will also look at the “addictive design of the service Shein is providing”, an EU official said, including bonus points programmes, gamification and rewards “that may lead to a risk of users’ mental wellbeing”.

This is the second investigation launched into the addictive design of an online retail platform, after an inquiry launched into Temu in late 2024.

The EU also said that Shein’s recommender systems were opaque and might not meet the transparency requirements of the bloc’s Digital Services Act (DSA).

Updated

Orbán seeks to cash in on Rubio's endorsement in Budapest as he gears up for key election

Meanwhile, over in Hungary, the country’s embattled prime minister Viktor Orbán is trying to make the most from yesterday’s visit by the US secretary of state Marco Rubio as he hopes to shore up his support ahead of a key parliamentary election in April.

In a social media edit set to over-the-top cinematic music, Orbán highlighted Rubio’s lengthy endorsement of the current Hungarian regime, praising “a golden era of relations between our countries and the PM’s relationship with Donald Trump.

Rubio’s visit to Hungary and Slovakia, the two EU countries that have kept close relations with Russia despite its aggression on Ukraine and repeatedly opposed further sanctions on Moscow, come just after his appearance at the Munich Security Conference over the weekend.

The Hungarian prime minister published or reposted a dozen or so posts about Rubio’s visit to Hungary, including further praise from the official US state department’s account.

It was interspersed only by a clip accusing, erm, Ukraine and Volodymyr Zelenskyy of interference in the country’s electoral campaign, without offering any evidence.

Independent polling agencies suggest that Orbán’s Fidesz party is trailing about 10 percentage points behind Péter Magyar’s opposition Tisza party.

Choice of Geneva marks first time talks will be held in Europe

Luke Harding in Kyiv and Pjotr Sauer

The choice of Switzerland marks the first time the talks involving Russia will be held on European soil after earlier rounds in Abu Dhabi and Istanbul.

The choice of Geneva appears to have been pushed by Washington. The Trump envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, who are expected to lead US engagement with Russia and Ukraine, are scheduled to hold separate meetings with Iranian officials in the city.

US president Donald Trump, who throughout his second presidency has veered between criticising Moscow and Kyiv, reverted this weekend to placing blame on Volodymyr Zelenskyy, suggesting Ukraine was holding up efforts to end the war.

Russian strikes show disregard for peace talks, Ukrainian foreign minister says

Ukrainian foreign minister Andrii Sybiha said the overnight Russian attack on Ukraine was instructive to show “the extent to which Russia disregards peace efforts.”

Moscow only understands the language of pressure. It will not take diplomacy seriously if it is not backed by strength,” he warned.

Sybiha called for a new package of sanctions – one is being prepared by the EU for the fourth anniversary of the full-scale aggression next week – and moves against Russia’s shadow bleet.

We are getting a short line from the Kremlin, via Reuters, that the three-way talks with Ukraine and the US are expected to continue tomorrow, with “no news expected today.”

Let’s see about that.

'Ukraine better come to table fast,' Trump says on Ukraine-Russia talks

Asked about the talks in Geneva last night, US president Donald Trump said:

Ukraine better come to the table, fast. That’s all I’m telling you. We are in a position we want them to come.”

Over the weekend, Ukraine’s Zelenskyy stressed that he was pursuing all possible channels of engaging with the US so to not give anyone – including Trump – an excuse to claim that Kyiv is not interested in the talks.

Morning opening: Zelenskyy calls for 'justice and strength' as Russian attacks continue just hours before peace talks in Geneva

Senior Ukrainian and Russian officials are meeting in Switzerland for another round of talks brokered by the Trump administration, days before the fourth anniversary of Moscow’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

As Luke Harding and Pjotr Sauer explain, the two-day meeting is expected to mirror negotiations held earlier this month in Abu Dhabi, with representatives from Washington, Kyiv and Moscow in attendance.

“Despite renewed US efforts to revive diplomacy, hopes for any sudden breakthrough remain low, with Russia continuing to press maximalist demands on Ukraine.”

Overnight, Russia launched nearly 400 drones and 29 missiles of various types, the Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelenskyy, said.

“It was a combined strike, deliberately calculated to cause as much damage as possible to our energy sector,” he said.

He urged international partners to “respond to all these strikes against life”, urging them to hold Russia accountable for its aggression.

Our diplomacy will be more effective if there is justice and strength. Strength of pressure on the Russian Federation – sanctions pressure and steady, rapid support for the Ukrainian army and our air defence.

For peace to be real and just, action must target the sole source of this aggression – because it is Moscow that continues the killings, massive attacks, and assaults.”

The US delegation in Geneva will also hold separate talks with Iran about its nuclear programme as tensions rise in the region.

We will bring you all the updates here.

It’s Tuesday, 17 February 2026, it’s Jakub Krupa here, and this is Europe Live.

Good morning.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.