A Syrian refugee who sexually assaulted two women during a single night in Falkirk has been sentenced to four years in prison.
Muhammad Sheikhi, 23, was sentenced at Stirling Sheriff Court on Monday, following his conviction at a trial in May.
Sheriff Keith O’Mahony described the offences as "deliberate and predatory", stating that given the seriousness of the crimes, he was imposing a penalty at the upper end of his sentencing powers.
“During the early hours of November 30 2025 the evidence established that you targeted two young women who were alone and vulnerable as they walked home,” Sheriff O’Mahony said to Sheikhi.
“In my assessment, these (offences) were not a spontaneous act. These were deliberate and predatory sexual assaults against strangers who had every right to walk home in safety.”
Sheikhi was also placed on the sex offenders register indefinitely and given a 10-year order prohibiting him from contacting or approaching his victims.
Defending, Paul Keenan said his client had escaped the "terror of Isis" before reaching the UK by boat, and noted that he maintains his innocence.
The court heard that both attacks took place in the early hours of Sunday November 30, near the Hotel Cladhan where Sheikhi had been staying.
He first targeted a woman at a railway bridge on Kerse Lane, where he hugged her, repeatedly kissed her face and mouth, and placed his hands under her skirt.
Sheikhi then sexually assaulted a second woman in Kerse Lane and at the nearby Bellsmeadow skate park, pinning her against a tree before putting his hands under her clothing.
Both victims were in their early 20s and had been walking home alone following nights out in the town centre.
Sheikhi had denied the charges, telling police he was simply "roaming around" as he had no one to socialise with at his accommodation.
Following a four-day trial in May, a jury took three hours of deliberation to find him guilty of both charges, with prosecutor Jamie Hilland previously noting he had acted in a "predatory" manner.
Sheikhi appeared in court on Monday in a black t-shirt and jeans, accompanied by a translator. He was visibly emotional when the sentence was imposed and as he left the courtroom.
The four-year sentence imposed will be backdated to December 2025 when Sheikhi was first remanded.
Procurator Fiscal Helen Nisbet said: “Muhammad Sheikhi targeted two young women who were simply trying to get home safely and subjected them to deeply distressing sexual assaults.
“These were deliberate acts against two victims who were alone and vulnerable. Their courage in coming forward has enabled him to be held accountable for his crimes.”
Ms Nisbet added: “While this type of stranger offending is thankfully rare, we recognise the profound impact it has on victims and on communities.
“Scotland’s prosecutors will continue to work closely with police and our partners to ensure that anyone who seeks to harm women and girls is brought to justice.”