An ICE agent was charged in the nonfatal shooting of a Venezuelan man during Trump’s immigration crackdown in Minnesota, officials announced on Monday.
Officer Christian Castro is charged with four counts of second-degree assault and one count of falsely reporting a crime in the Jan. 14 shooting of Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis, Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said at a news conference.
Federal authorities initially accused Sosa-Celis and Alfredo Alejandro Aljorna of beating an officer with a broom handle and a snow shovel during the incident, but a federal judge later dismissed the charges and federal officials opened an investigation into whether two immigration officers lied under oath about what happened.
A federal officer shot Sosa-Celis in the thigh after he and another officer chased a different man to the apartment duplex where the man and Sosa-Celis lived. Moriarty said both Sosa-Celis and the other man were legally in the U.S.
A warrant was issued for his arrest.
Last month, federal authorties charged a different ICE agent with assault afterallegedly threatening victims with his firearm.
Department of Homeland Security and Justice Department officials didn’t immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
DHS previously said that lying under oath is a “serious federal offense” and that making false statements could result in an officer being fired or prosecuted.
.jpeg)
The city of Minneapolis last month released video of the incident captured from a distance by a city-owned security camera.
The administration sent thousands of officers to the Minneapolis and St. Paul area as part of Trump’s national deportation campaign. The Department of Homeland Security, which oversees ICE, called Operation Metro Surge its largest immigration enforcement operation ever and deemed it a success.
But tensions mounted during the weekslong campaign and the shooting deaths of U.S. citizens Renee Good and Alex Pretti by federal officers provoked mass unrest and questions about officers’ conduct.

Hennepin County, which includes Minneapolis, has been conducting investigations into multiple incidents and filed charges last month against an ICE agent for alleged actions while on duty.
Minnesota leaders and the Trump administration have since clashed over which has the authority to investigate and prosecute officers for conduct while on duty. The Trump administration has suggested that Minnesota officials don’t have jurisdiction.
State officials have said they don’t trust the federal government to investigate itself or hold officers accountable.
Hennepin County continues to investigate Good's and Pretti’s killings and sued the administration in March over access to evidence in the two cases, as well as in the case against Sosa-Celis. Although Moriarty hasn't charged anyone in either killing, she has said she's confident her office's investigations will bring transparency, even if not criminal prosecution.
ICE agent criminally charged in Minnesota for pointing gun at drivers, prosecutors say
Pete Hegseth is doing something weird in Kentucky but don’t worry, it’s not illegal!
OSHA has 6 inspectors to keep 60,000 West Virginia workplaces safe. Here’s what it means for workers
‘Savage’ ex-cop involved in 4 deadly shootings trained ICE agents: report