Engineers have begun efforts to clear a derailed train from a railway line in East Sussex following an incident that injured 30 people, with rail bosses confirming the route will reopen in September.
A major incident was declared by British Transport Police (BTP) after three carriages of a Southern service overturned near Lewes on 13 August, leaving passengers trapped inside.
Around 20 people were taken to hospital, with two passengers sustaining serious injuries that are not thought to be life-threatening.
On Thursday, Network Rail and Southern Railway stated that the stretch between Lewes and Haywards Heath will remain closed until 1 September while recovery work takes place and the tracks are repaired.
Meanwhile, the first of the three overturned carriages was lifted using two large cranes. Video footage showed the carriage suspended on Thursday afternoon, with staff seen removing bicycles and luggage from the righted vehicle.
Lucy McAuliffe, Sussex route director for Network Rail, said: “I can only apologise for the disruption that this incident is causing to people’s journeys, and I want to personally thank people for their patience and their understanding alongside the many rail industry colleagues supporting the recovery.
“The location of the derailment, which happened in close proximity to the River Ouse, means that reinstatement of the site is particularly complex, with teams working round the clock to reopen the line for customers as soon and as safely as possible.
“The recovery is being carried out with careful consideration for the area around the derailment site, ensuring the area’s ecology is protected and being mindful of residents living nearby.”
Network Rail and Southern previously described how the carriages slid “part-way down the embankment” and they will need to be “carefully lifted away by crane”.
John Whitehurst, chief executive of Greater Thameslink Railway, which operates Southern, added: “Getting the line open in time for the end of the school holidays is an absolute priority for us, and we are working closely with Network Rail to achieve this despite very challenging circumstances.”
It comes as investigators into the crash said it appeared the track buckled on what was the hottest day of the year so far.
The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) described the fault – recorded by cameras on preceding services – as a “track geometry irregularity”.
It said its investigation into the crash will consider the weather conditions.
13 August was the UK’s hottest day of 2026 so far, with temperatures reaching 38.1C in west London.
The RAIB noted there was “a sustained period of hot and dry weather” before the accident.
There is a risk of rails buckling during high temperatures as they can be 50C when the air temperature is 30C.
Preliminary analysis of the derailed Southern train’s onboard data recorder show it was travelling at about 65mph as it approached the point of derailment at 3.54pm on August 13.
About 150 people were onboard the eight-carriage service from London Victoria to Eastbourne.