Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
Joanna Guelas

Ex-Supercars driver takes Bathurst 12-hour for Mercedes

Germany's Maro Engel has claimed a long-awaited first Bathurst 12-hour victory. (Edge Photographics/AAP PHOTOS)

Former Supercars driver Maro Engel has guided Team GMR to victory in a chaotic Bathurst 12-hour as Ford's sole entrant crashed out after hitting a kangaroo.

Engel's No.888 Mercedes crossed the finish line first at Mount Panorama, with the German claiming victory with co-drivers Mikael Grenier and Maxime Martin on Sunday.

The factory-backed Mercedes outfit won the 262-lap marathon by 1.036 seconds ahead of the No.86 Team High Class Racing Porsche in second.

Legendary MotoGP rider Valentino Rossi was third in the No.26 Team WRT BMW, after finishing second last year.

Maro Engel, Mikael Grenier and Maxime Martin.
Maro Engel, Mikael Grenier and Maxime Martin revel in their Bathurst triumph. (Edge Photographics/AAP PHOTOS)

Engel and his team claim victory after qualifying 29th out of the 34 cars - setting a new record for the lowest starting position to win the endurance race.

"I've waited a long time for this," Engel, who raced for Supercars outfit Erebus in 2013, told Fox Sports.

"It's every bit as special as I dreamt it would be."

One-time Supercars champion Will Brown led the No.183 Jamec Racing-Team MPC Audi to fourth in front of 55,231 fans.

The race was suspended under the red flag for an hour after then-leader Ralf Aron's No.77 Mercedes burst into flames following a collision with the No.79 Porsche of Johannes Zelger.

Unaware Zelger had spun to a halt after the bend at Forrest Elbow, Aron obliterated his car after rocketing into the Porsche with three hours and 40 minutes remaining.

Aron's No.77 Mercedes wasn't the only car to be engulfed in flames, with Supercars driver James Golding suffering a similar fate.

Blanchard Racing Team driver Golding had failed to recover after brushing the barrier on the run to McPhillamy Park, resulting in a heavy airborne collision against the concrete wall.

Aron, Golding, and Zelger were able to exit their cars, with Aron taken to hospital in Orange for further assessment.

Tickford ace Cam Waters had snared pole position in the No.222 Scott Taylor Motorsport Mercedes with co-drivers Thomas Randle and defending Supercars champion Chaz Mostert.

But the all-Australian line-up was ruled out with less than an hour on the clock, after Mostert collided with Supercars rookie Jayden Ojeda in No.2 Team Tigani Motorsport Mercedes.

Supercars star Broc Feeney was the first scalp claimed after No.67 HRT Ford Racing co-driver Christopher Mies hit a kangaroo at top speed on Conrod Straight less than 20 minutes into the 12-hour marathon.

The two-time Bathurst 12-hour winner was able to exit the field's sole Ford entrant, but was covered in kangaroo blood as the car sustained extensive damage to its front-left.

Mustang's third driver Dennis Olsen said Mies had hit the kangaroo while racing at 250km/h, but was cleared by the medical team.

"Luckily, Mies is OK," Olsen told Fox Sports.

"We can see that he was for sure impacted by that. I'm glad he's OK, that's the main thing."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.