Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
George Lithgow

Government bans 11 ‘far-right agitators’ from entering UK for Tommy Robinson rally

Tommy Robinson has organised a Unite the Kingdom rally for Saturday - (Getty)

The government has blocked 11 foreign "far-right agitators" from entering the UK, ahead of a major demonstration led by Tommy Robinson in central London on Saturday.

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer condemned the organisers of the Unite the Kingdom rally, stating they are "peddling hatred and division".

He signalled a tougher stance on such individuals earlier this week, leveraging the Home Secretary’s power to cancel permission to enter or remain in the country.

More than 100,000 people are anticipated to attend the event, prompting the Metropolitan Police to plan an operation described as "unprecedented in recent years". The Prime Minister, visiting a Met Police operation room on Friday, emphasised the gravity of the situation.

"We’re in a fight for the soul of this country, and the Unite the Kingdom march this weekend is a stark reminder of exactly what we are up against," Sir Keir said.

Starmer condemned the organisers of the rally on Friday (PA)

"We will block those coming into the UK who seek to incite hatred and violence. For anyone who sets out to wreak havoc on our streets, to intimidate or threaten anyone, you can expect to face the full force of the law."

Among those claiming to have been banned are Polish politician Dominik Tarczynski, Belgian politician and commentator Filip Dewinter, anti-Islam influencer Valentina Gomez, US commentator Joey Mannarino, Spanish personality Ada Lluch, Dutch anti-immigration activist Eva Vlaardingerbroek, and US-based podcaster Don Keith.

The demonstration, organised by Robinson (whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon), follows a previous Unite the Kingdom protest last September that drew between 110,000 and 150,000 attendees.

A massive police presence is being deployed, with thousands of officers, armoured vehicles, police horses, dogs, drones, and helicopters on standby. Heavy restrictions are in place to separate the Unite the Kingdom rally from a pro-Palestine Nakba Day protest, amid concerns some football fans might join Robinson’s event after the FA Cup final. Live facial recognition technology will also be utilised at a protest for the first time.

Sir Keir concluded: "My Government will always champion peaceful protest but will act decisively against hatred. We all have a responsibility to speak out against those spouting vile divisive views wherever we see it.

“We are a country built on decency, fairness and respect, at our best when people from different backgrounds come together in common purpose. That is what we must fight for."

Downing Street said rule breakers can expect to “face the full force of the law”.

A No 10 spokeswoman said: “The first thing to say is that we understand that many law-abiding people plan on coming out to peacefully protest this weekend, and to those people we promise that we will always stand up for your right to protest and for freedom of speech.

“But with that freedom does come responsibility to use voices with decency and with respect, and to anyone who is seeking to break the law and create chaos, they can expect to feel the full force of the law.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.