Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Politics
Nina Lloyd

Council elections to go ahead in May after Reform UK challenge to Government

The Government has abandoned plans to postpone elections across 30 councils this May after receiving advice from lawyers following a legal challenge from Reform UK.

Local Government Secretary Steve Reed said he had approved proposals to delay the polls following “arguments made about capacity, reorganisation and democracy” amid a drive to reorganise English local authorities.

But on Monday, a Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) spokesperson said: “Following legal advice, the Government has withdrawn its original decision to postpone 30 local elections in May.

“Providing certainty to councils about their local elections is now the most crucial thing and all local elections will now go ahead in May 2026.”

Nigel Farage said the Government’s decision was a victory for Reform UK after his party announced it was taking legal action against the initial move.

He said in a post on X: “We took this Labour government to court and won.”

In a court order published in January, Mr Justice Chamberlain said the party was seeking an order temporarily blocking the Government from changing the date of forthcoming elections pending the hearing of the full legal challenge.

Reform UK had asked the court to determine the full claim before the end of March, when notices of election are published.

Another hearing had been set for this week.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.