Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
National
Sam McKeith

Crackdown on victim compensation 'claim farming'

NSW will introduce laws to prevent vulnerable people being pressured into filing compensation claims (James Ross/AAP PHOTOS)

New "claim farming" laws will be introduced in Australia's most populous state to protect people from being pressured into lodging compensation claims, including about sex abuse.

The NSW government said on Monday the laws would curb the "predatory practice" of pressuring vulnerable people to lodge civil claims on issues such as child abuse, assault or deprivation of liberty.

The clampdown comes after seven alleged "claim farmers" were accused in February of promoting millions of dollars in false claims as part of a syndicate, facilitated through Sydney law firms.

Police allege the syndicate has made claims - many of them potentially false - with an overall value of $1.3 billion.

A file photo of Michael Daley
NSW Attorney General Michael Daley says the state has listened to calls for a ban on claim farming. (Dan Himbrechts/AAP PHOTOS)

Attorney General Michael Daley said it was "abhorrent that individuals and organisations are seeking to profit off vulnerable people such as victim-survivors of child sexual abuse".

"The NSW government is listening to advocates who have called for a ban on this predatory and exploitative practice that worsens the trauma experienced by victim-survivors," Mr Daley said in a statement.

"We have carefully consulted with the community and are moving to stop the harm inflicted by this egregious behaviour."

The laws will ban a person from contacting someone else to solicit them to make a relevant claim, according to the NSW government.

They will also prevent a person from buying or selling a claim referral and force lawyers who are convicted to refund legal costs received on farmed claims.

The reforms do not inhibit abuse victims from bringing claims, which can be done by contacting a lawyer directly, the government said.

Australia's National Redress Scheme, set up in 2018 after the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, enables payments to those subjected to institutional abuse.

More than $1.4 billion has so far been paid out to around 15,000 successful applicants under the scheme, which includes government departments, churches and sporting groups.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.