A teenager who lost his life in a car crash in Cavan has been described as a talented footballer, who had “so much to live for”.
Luke Byrne, 17, from Corlough in Co Cavan was seriously injured when the car he was a passenger in, collided with a lorry on Thursday evening.
The teenager, who was with his mother and father, was rushed to the nearby Cavan General hospital where he died.
READ MORE: Community in mourning after 'sincere' and 'lovely' dad of two killed in tragic road roller incident
Luke’s parents, his mother Lorraine who was driving the car, and his father Tony are in a serious but non-life threatening condition in hospital.
Writing on Facebook, Corlough GAA club in Cavan said their “hearts are breaking” over the loss of their young team mate.
The statement said: “No words can express the grief we in Corlough GAA club are feeling since the news reached us that young 17-year-old Luke Byrne had been tragically taken away from us on Thursday evening the 9th of June.
“Our hearts are breaking for a young life that had so much to give to this world, a talented footballer that loved playing football, a team mate that was as solid as a rock and so much to offer in his short life.
“Luke was highly respected on and off the field, his school mates and work colleagues highly respected him, he had a great attitude on the field by letting his feet do the talking.
“From his underage days playing with Dernacrieve Gaels, he won numerous medals and we knew from the get-go this was one player to watch out for and indeed Luke proved us all right, he was one of the most talented footballers to wear a green and white jersey for Corlough.
“It was only this year at the beginning of 2022 Luke started playing at senior level and unfortunately a few short months later we must bid farewell to him, it is going to be tremendously hard for us to move on from this.
“When we lose any member of our club we naturally grieve for them but when we lose a member so young, so full of life and so much to live for, it’s only then you realise we’ve hit rock bottom.
“One thing we can guarantee you is that we will never forget you Luke, your quiet manner your attitude to life and your drive for success were just a drop in the ocean of what you had to offer.
“We ask you all to keep Tony, Lorraine and Grace in your thoughts and prayers and grant them the courage that somehow they all find the strength at this awful unimaginable time.
“God bless you Luke in our hearts you will remain forever”.
The collision happened on the N3 in Knalack at around 6pm on Thursday between Butlersbridge and Belturbet.
Luke is one of two children, his sister Grace has been living in the UK where she is attending college.
The family are well liked and respected in the community.
Speaking to the Irish Mirror, local Fianna Fail councillor John Paul Feeney said the community was in shock.
He said “It is such a tragedy. A young man of 17 with his whole life ahead of him and a great footballer. I know the family. They are lovely.
“Everyone is in absolute shock. It’s such sad news. Our thoughts and prayers are with them all.
"There’s just such a sense of sadness in the community. It’s a terrible situation, I really feel for them”.
A book of condolences opened for the Byrne family on Friday night.
Corlough GAA club said: “A book of condolence will be open in Corlough community centre this evening from 8pm until 10pm, this also gives an opportunity for all his past and present team mates a time to reflect on Luke’s life and a time to talk and rally around each other at this very sad and heartbreaking time.”
Meanwhile gardai are appealing for witnesses to the incident.
In a statement, gardai said said: "Gardai are appealing for any witnesses to this collision to come forward. Any road users who may have camera footage (including dash-cam) and were travelling on the N3 between Butlersbridge and Belturbet, between 5.45pm and 6.30pm are asked to make this footage available to investigating gardaí.
"Anyone with any information is asked to contact Cavan Garda Station on 049 436 8800, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111, or any Garda Station."
Get breaking news to your inbox by signing up to our newsletter