Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Lamiat Sabin,Namita Singh and Ella Glover

Boris Johnson news - live: Met interviews key partygate witnesses as Nazanin ‘should have come home years ago’

AP
Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe says she lost trust in government to bring her home

The Metropolitan Police has begun interviewing key witnesses in the investigation into parliament’s alleged Covid-19 breaches, it said Monday.

So far, more than 100 questionnaires have been sent out, all which are being individually assessed, as part of Operation Hillman, with further questionnaires sent out based on responses that have already been given.

The questionnaires gives witnesses the “opportunity to give an account of their involvement,” the Met said in a statement. No fines have been issued yet.

Meanwhile, Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, who spoke publicly for the first time following her return to the UK on Monday, said her reunion with her husband and daughter has been “precious” and “glorious”, but that her release from detention in Iran should have happened six years ago.

Referencing her husband thanking the government a few moments earlier, she said: “I do not really agree with him on that level.”

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said the negotiations for their return had been “extremely complicated” and that Ms Zaghari-Ratcliffe’s return had been a priority for successive foreign ministers, while Labour MP Tulip Siddiq called for an inquiry into the case.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.