The US Department of Homeland Security is considering reducing customs processing services at airports in cities that do not follow the Trump administration’s immigration policies. The proposal could disrupt international travel operations at some of the country’s busiest airports, including John F. Kennedy International Airport, Newark Liberty International Airport and Washington Dulles International Airport.
The plan involves pulling back US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) staff responsible for passport checks and luggage inspections of international passengers. Airlines may have to cancel or reroute flights if staffing levels fall, according to industry representatives.
Airlines for America, which represents major US carriers, warned that the move could create operational problems for airlines and travelers.
“Reducing CBP staffing at major airports would have a devastating effect on the airline and tourism industries, causing a significant operational disruption to carriers, travelers and the flow of international cargo,” the group said in a statement.
Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin discussed the proposal during a May 13 meeting organised by the US Travel Association, a Bloomberg report said, quoting people familiar with the matter. Airline and hotel executives attended the meeting, the people said.
Also Read| Federal judge bans most arrests by federal agents in immigration courts in New York
According to two people aware of the discussions, Portland International Airport in Oregon may be among the first airports affected by staffing cuts. Another person said JFK Airport in New York is also under consideration.
The US Travel Association confirmed it is discussing travel-related matters with the department.
“On domestic and international inbound travel alike, we urge governments at all levels to adopt policies that promote the free and efficient flow of legitimate travelers,” the association said.
The Atlantic earlier reported details of the May meeting with travel executives.
Mullin, who became Homeland Security Secretary in March after Kristi Noem, had publicly mentioned the idea during an interview on Fox News last month. He said cities not complying with the administration’s immigration policies should not receive services from the department.
A Department of Homeland Security representative referred to Mullin’s earlier comments during the Fox News interview when asked about the proposal.
Also Read| 10,000 foreign students, including Indians, under ICE scanner for OPT fraud
Industry executives and officials said a reduction in customs operations at major international airports could affect global passenger traffic and cargo movement into the US. Airports such as JFK also serve as major transfer hubs for passengers connecting to smaller cities, raising concerns over wider disruptions across the aviation network.
Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy was asked about the issue during a congressional hearing on Thursday. He said he was not aware of Mullin’s comments and wanted to discuss the matter directly with him.
At the same time, Duffy said, “we shouldn’t shut down air travel in a state that doesn’t agree with our politics,” adding that administrations change and such a policy likely would not continue under a future government.